NZ - South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
October 14th 2006
Published: November 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Travel from Wellington to Nelson

Long day traveling today as we the get the ferry to the South Island. Me, Lara and Maddy write the song ‘Kiwi Express’ which we think is hilarious but probably really isn’t. But at least it relived the boredom of the 3 hour journey,

Stopped of on the way to Nelson to go wine tasting. Arrive in Nelson to a lovely hostel and it is actually sunny!! So play cards outside when the owners little daughters come and ask us what we are playing so I tell them ‘Naughty Head’. Play cards with the kids for a while, then go out and play pool. Get chatting to Team Ireland who have just got on the bus who seem like fun so we all go to a bar over the road. Lot’s happen this evening - including Bar / Car incident and Marcus / Martin / Swedish Girl have a row outside the door due to the shower incident.

Travel to Westport

Travel to Westport - which is very boring. The place makes Nuneaton look cool and happening! Get chatting to Laura and Kate, have a Chinese and watch trainspotting.

Travel to Lake Mahinapia

Fancy dress night tonight - we stop of on the way to Lake Mahinapia to get our costumes. The theme is you have to go as something that begins with either first / second name. I decide to go as a cowgirl so get a shirt from an op shop, then a sheriff badge, gun and cowgirl hat.
Kelly goes as a gypsy, Pella - Pocahontas, Lara - Lara Croft, Maddy - Madonna, Ed - Edward Sicssoorhand.
Have a really good night, hang around with Team Ireland a lot, and some of the gang head down to the lake.

Travel to Franz Josef!!!!!!!!

We all get up - with a lot of people unwell. Although Martin decides to have a bottle of red wine for breakfast!!
Today is the day of the SKYDIVE!! - because of my hangover I feel a little hazy so am not too worried.
We stop of on our way to Franz Josef at a Cafe where Ed gets attacked by a pig - and apparently squeals like a girl!
Smiley confirms that me, the girls and Ed will do our skydives at around 1ish before going to our hostel.
Suddenly start to feel very worried!!! A lady stops to pick us up and we go to the skydiving venue at Franz Fox. We all get kitted into our jump suits. Maddy and Sarah go up first, followed by martin. Lara and I are next! Followed by Ed and Pella even though she has a broken foot!

The jump is FANTASTIC! Go up on a very small plane which can hold 4 of us and fly to 12000 feet. The journey lasts about 20 minutes where we fly by all the glaciers and are on par with Mount Cook. Lara jumps first followed by myself.

I dangle my legs out the plane and pose for the camera - try to smile but think it is more of a grimace. We somersault out of the plane and free fall for about 45 seconds at around 130 MPH. Therefore in about 45 seconds I fall for about a mile and a half!!!
The free fall feels like it only lasts a couple of seconds though (my tandem partner later tells me this is known as sensory overload). The parachute is pulled and it all goes eerily quiet, I also get to guide the parachute. Take some pictures of Lara whilst she is falling.
This is without a doubt the best experience of my life and I want to do it again as soon as possible!! It was like falling from heaven - with the most stunning views. Words really cannot describe what a rush it is. I’m on such a high and keep giggling to myself in the car and hugging Lara.
When we get back book the Heli Hike for tomorrow - I’m becoming an adrenaline junky!!

Franz Josef

Wake up, and am a bit worried that the weather will be too bad for the Heli Hike, but its fine.
Ed, Sarah and I fly up in one of the helicopters with a few other girls. We are team 1 which is supposed to be the faster group.
We fly right by the side of the glaciers which gets a bit scary - where we get to the top and land on the ice!
The view is breathtaking! We all get our spikes etc on and go for a hike for about 2 hours.
My foot falls through the ice a few times but it isn’t too bad. We go through ice caves etc which can be a difficult to get through - as they are obviously a little bit slippery. I also see / hear an avalanche - so loud!

Sarah manages to fall through ice and grazes her leg, so our guide has to do first aid - although I’m sure it is just a ploy as he is rather good looking.
On our way back I get chosen to fly in the front of the helicopter - very exciting.

When we get back Pella and Laura is having lunch so grab something to eat with them, and smiley joins us.

Later find out that Jo has twisted her knee doing the hike - that’s it our bus is definelty cursed!! Go grab a glass of wine by myself and get a chance to write some postcards.

Travel to Wanaka

Arrive in Wanaka earlish so get a chance to chill out on my own. The hostel has a bath (which is a first) and also a TV, balcony in the room. Pop to the shop to get some bubble bath, a magazine and wine - perfect bliss!! I imagine it will be my last chance to do this on my travels!
Make some pasta and go for a few drinks with Laura and Ryan. The rest of the gang except ‘the girls’ come out later on. Nice, chilled out evening as we go to a bar with a real fire place and all these candles. Get a chance to talk to chat a bit to Smithy, Simon, John and Alan.

Travel to Queenstown
On the way to Queenstown we stop of at a Hackett Bungee Jump site - where we learn how Bungee Jumping got started. Am tempted at giving it a go for about a minute and then chicken out. Watch Lee and the Irish Crew do there jump though and it does look fantastic.
Sit at front of the bus which is a bit scary as it’s a really narrow, windy path! Get there and get a chance to buy a shirt dress and shoes - as I have been going out in the same going out outfit for the last 2 months and am well a bit bored of it! Tonight is supposed to be a BIG night out. We go to the down stairs bar first, and then on to the world car, where you get cocktails in teapots. It’s an OK night but not really feeling it so leave about 2 with Kelly as everyone else is very drunk….. as I leave Ed and John are doing tequila shots 3 at a time, and smiley is apparently drinking wax - time to make my exit.
Am in Queenstown for a few days so have a much needed lazy day after all the traveling. Hang around the TV room watching endless episodes of Smithy’s Family Guy DVD and then watch Charlie and Chocolate Factory.

Also go to the Ice Bar with the girls and Ed as it is Sarah last day with us. Have a good time, you have to dress up in big coats, and UGG boots as the whole bar is made of ice - including the glasses!

Last Night in Queenstown
Have a big night out as it is a few of our last nights in Queenstown. The girls and I drink champagne and vodka in our room before we go out. End up having a really good girly gossip and telling all of our secrets (which shall obviously not go on this page!!!)
Really good fun, however on our way down to the bar Kelly falls down the steps and twists her ankle! The security man gets her to her room.
Go to the bar and have a good time. All the girls from the bus (except for Kelly) go up to do Karaoke and sing Tiffany ‘I think we’re alone now’. Once it shuts we move on to a weird bar that stinks of incense (it is a labor day in NZ so most places are shut).

Travel to Christchurch

It is just Maddy and I are leaving to Christchurch - and nearly miss the bus as I oversleep.
Not a good day, don’t feel very well - and it is an 8 hour bus journey to Christchurch.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb