Kiwi Experience - North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
October 7th 2006
Published: November 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

KIWI EXPERIENCE - DAY ONE - Travel to Mercury Bay

So my first day on the Kiwi Experience Bus which has a reputation for being a bit 18-30 ish….

A little hung over when I get on to the bus, some of the guys from the ‘Free Day’ get on as well…. Jo, Jess, Matt and Gary.
Get chatting to Andi straight away and then latter on Maddy who I meet grab some lunch.
We stop of at Hot Water Beach for a few hours. Pretty cool on a certain section of the beach you can stick your feet into the sand and there is really hot water!
Sit with Maddy and have a chat, then go for a swim in the sea - although the waves are really high (and apparently due to the current it one of the more dangerous beaches is NZ) so don’t stay in for very long.
When we get back on the bus we make our way to Mercury Bay. We have a BBQ where Smiley (the driver) does all the cooking. Good fun and get chatting to loads of people - including Pella and Lara.
We end up going to a pub which is virtually empty until we all pile in. Get chatting to an American girl called Jody and Irish Ed. Ended up dancing with a mad Kiwi woman, and Maddy and Jody latter join in.
Ends up being me with Ed, Andi and John at the end of the night as we have a few drinks. The guys walk me back (as I am at another hostel) and they walk back to there’s. The following morning I find out that Ed was punched by a local woman - due to a fight the girl that always carries the duck and a guy she had been snogging - and some how Ed was an innocent by stander.

DAY TWO - Travel to Rotorua

Went to Rotorua today on the way we stopped at ‘Hobbit Town’ where some of the Lord Of the Rings was filmed, you can get pictures of yourself took next to a sign and Gollum.
Also managed to get a fleece and a cardigan which I am so happy about - as it really is COLD!!!
We also stop of so Andi and Kelly can go Zorbing. Zorbing is where you go into a big inflatable ball filled with some water and roll down a huge hill. Looks good fun but is a bit expensive - it lasts about a minute.
Go and book the Maori night and have a walk around Rotorua with Lara, Kelly, Sarah and Maddy.

Whilst booking the night got chatting to Laura and Ryan (Laura broke her hand due to falling down some Stairs.)
Around town we have a look around the mud pools (although it stinks of rotten eggs due to the sulphar. Go back to our hostel to Hot Rocks and have a swim in the pool (bit of luxury!!). However Pella comes back from the hospital and find out she has a broken foot and has had to have it in plaster.
Go on the Maori night which is a laugh. We have to choose a leader - and Alan chooses. We learn about the culture and have to give the welcome greeting Kio Ora. The men do the war greeting and they all dance / sing. Good night and then have a nice meal with everyone.

Day 3 - Travel to Waitomo

On the way to Waitomo we stop off at Te Puia Sawa and see a Kiwi Bird and learn more about the Maori Culture.
When we get to Waitomo, me, the girls and Ed quickly go Black Water Rafting. We all get dressed up in our wet suits and miner type hats. We climb into the caves with our ringos. It is pitched black when we turn off our head lights - and we can see glow worms - except they turn out to be Glow Maggots - AARGH!!
It was really good fun, I wasn’t too nervous except when I had to jump backwards off a waterfall and also through a really narrow part of the cave where all the water is gushing through.
When we get back it is freezing - so they give us Tom soup and Bagels to warm us up. Get back to hostel and have another BBQ (Smiley is good to us) and end up chatting late on the patio with Andi and Ed.

Day 4 - Travel to Taupo

Have a relaxing morning as a lot of other people are doing B.W.R this morning. Grab some breakfast with the girls, Ed and Andi. Laura and Ryan come and sit with us and find out that Laura got bit by a load of fleas last night (Oh the joys of backpacking…). Suddenly feel very itchy myself.
Arrive in Taupo and play sh*thead and bump into Kelly who I met in San Diego (small world). Have a walk along the lake during sunset - so stunning!!
We all go out tonight to an Irish Bar. Really good night - ‘Team Urban’ manage to get Smiley hammered by doing shots - but its him that is drinking alcohol while everyone else drinks water.
We all get a bit ‘tipsy’ in the end and all leave…… John decides to give Maddy a piggy back ride, however they both fall over and John manages to cut his head open. Paramedics get called, so John goes off in Ambulance. Walk back to the hostel where I find out my purse is lost. Ed and I go looking for it but give up so I do the sensible thing and cancel my cards!!

Day 5 - Taupo

Get woken up by reception who have my purse. Some how managed to end up in Johns sweater - a bit of a nightmare as my cards are cancelled - however at least I have my driving license back.
Go shopping with Kelly and buy some trainers - as it really isn’t flip flop weather - and do some posing in the Mc Donald’s plane.
Have an early night, as Maddy and Lara are staying to do the Tongariro Crossing.

Day 6 - Travel to River Valley

Kelly gets up early to do a sky dive. We do about an hour walk at the base of the Tongariro Crossing, which is stunning! The mountains are known as Doom? Mountain in Lord of the Rings.
Arrive at River Valley which is beautiful…… Go on a swing thing that goes past the river. Then go horse trekking, my horse is called Chestnut and is huge - I’m petrified!! Jo’s horse keeps biting mine on the bum - plus its keeps walking right by the side of the cliff! At one point mine starts galloping off (wish I wore a sports bra)! Kelly then manages to fall off her horse.
When we get back to the hostel we come up with the theory that the bus is cursed - and we will all end up being in a thriller movie called Kiwi X 2006.

Day 7 - Travel to Wellington

Travel to Wellington today and stop at the Bases Sanctuary (only girls allowed). Manage to also get 3 glasses of champagne for free. Kelly, Marcus and I all get free shots for dancing on the dance floor to 1 song - Sweet!!
The whole bus meets up and go on a pub crawl - really good night. Although do manage to make an arse of myself by tripping over on the dance floor.

Day 8 - Free Day in Wellington

Go for a fry up with Kelly and have a gossip about what went on last night and then go shopping. Although for some reason there are lots of Zombies walking around! Get back, and Lara and Maddy arrive back. Am so tired from last night so have an early night.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb