That'll do Knifely


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast
June 30th 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Are you bored of Nature Walks, can't stomach another offer of a bungy, quad biking lost its appeal or perhaps you're the one person that wasn't that taken with Lord Of The Rings, if so then what are you waiting for - Come Make a Knife! In what sounds like a particularly weird day's activity you too can turn a pile of un-processed steel, reclaimed wood and a bit of brass into a weapon to be proud of (Note: Knives are not weapons and should not be used to poke people, unless they're really mean).

After two weeks in New Zealand you begin to realise that every man and his dog offer some kind of tourist activity. Whether it be on horse-back, bike-back, lying-back it's activity this and experience that. To tell the truth we were getting pretty bored of the whole thing and had taken to exploring the real gem of New Zealand - the jaw-dropping scenery. From the pastures and fields the country grows upwards sprouting forests, waterfalls and vistas just like those at home, only a bit better. After exploring a temperate rain forest and snowy beaches you're on to giant glaciers and palm trees surrounded by gorse.

Speaking of which. After a visit to Te Papa Museum (in Wellington - blog very far behind, lazy blog) it turns out that the gorse scattered across the hillsides of the Southern Island isn't in fact native. It turns out the some enterprising Scots felt that gorse was a pretty hedge plant and so brought over a few sprigs to brighten up their gardens in the middle of the 19th century. Unfortunately, it turns out that the gorse liked the landscape as much as the colonists and now it's bloody everywhere. They can't get rid of it. It's so bad in fact that it is now deemed a 'noxious weed' and should be removed on sight. Which is why you need a good knife (Oh see the delicate interchange as my words eb and flow).

It was early morning when i arrived at Steve and Robyn's farm to 'Make a Knife' and was greeted by the cheerful and chirpy couple who took pleasure in informing me that I was the only one today. A quick run back to Sidious (Our Spaceship) and a few suggestive beggings later and Nic was roped in. If they were going to make a knife and kill us with it she would go down too. Nic was due to ride horses on the beach that day, but unfortunately the company decided that it was too cold for the horses and so she was planning on spending a productive day in the warmth of the car.

Our day couldn't have been better. Apart from the incredible tuition that's only really attainable with 2 pupils and 2 teachers we set about hand forging our steel. Creating the blades with just a hammer and anvil, grinding the steel and once or twice almost making monumental cock-ups (All mistakes were however, corrected by our understanding teacher - Any knife is ok, as long as it's perfect). Hours went by discussing Politics, New Zealand, Rugby and slowly but surely shaping our blades into weapons to be proud off.

A handmade knife, if it is handmade, can set you back at least 5000p (still no pound). Ours, if we do say so, are in every way superior. Beautiful shimmering steel, hard as rock and sharp enough to shave with. Crafted over the course of the day and entirely unique to us. If this wasn't enough we also left their farm with a lovely bottle of 'Not' Soda Water (Moonshine - sshhh) which in no way made us blind. A useful trait when you're playing with knifes.

All in all a day to enjoy and not one hint of Lord of the Rings.

p.s. If in New Zealand and on the West Coast of the South Island, visit Barrytown knives and you won't regret it

p.p.s Oh and it turns out we're related (me and Steven). At least his family names is Lowes with links to East Coast Scotland - small world eh.

p.p.p.s Blame Nic for the title 40 mins and that's the best she's got. Phew

Advertisement



Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb