Home at last (ish)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
June 29th 2008
Published: June 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As we hit the road with passion, verve and distinctly un-Indian speed we flew round the South Island (See the imagery 'flew', 'Spaceship' it's easy the creatice written lark). A place full of pine forrests, mountain vistas and sheep add to that the tartan, whisky and some rare orange nectar and you could be mistaken for thinking we had once again returned to the most blessed place on earth, yip the Irn-Bru factory in Cumbernauld.

Eh no... well not quite. Thankfully we're over 18,000km from Cumbernauld. In fact we're probably as far away from Cumbernauld as it's possible to get - and it's a good place to be.

The home of Scotish settlement in New Zealand the names of town in Otago and Southland ring with the familiar twang of home. We stopped for petrol in Fortrose, lunch in St. Andrews and coffee in Kaitangata. Ok not everywhere, but most of the places including our home away from home and the 'Edinburgh' of the south, Dunedin.

Dunedin was the first real city in New Zealand and from the plethora of Victorian architecture and grim look on people's faces you can see that it was settled by Scots. It is in many ways far more attractive than supposedly pretty Christchurch and passed the city centre it is still possible to see influeneces from across the globe. Carved thistles here and there and more Presbyterian churches than there are moral fist-wavers. There are even token tartan-tastic shops of horor that would fit in nicely on the royal mile. Why go to Scotland for a kilt when you can have one made right here. Architecture aside, however, the real gem of Dunedin has got to be in the tasting in the biggest Cadbury's Chocolate factory outside the UK.

With a giant purple silo full of crumb (like chocolate only not - lets call it pseudo-chocolate or pre-chocolate) and an obligatory tour we made our way there sharpish. Free samples and doggy bags didn't dissappoint and when the tour guide reminded us that chocolate finished while on the tour would be replaced at the end, we stuffed ourselves silly.

Note: Nic would like people to be informed that she did not stuff herself silly and was in fact a measured and reserved chocolate eater. He (that'd be me) was covered in the stuff like a naughty, but entirely satisfied, puppy. Fair play

However, the free chocolate on tour was not the end of the pleasentaries and when we finished we ended up in the on site shop, for tours only, where chocolate is sold at cost price! Due to this we shall be returning home early and expect to see everyone very soon.

We couldn't stay in Dunedin long, however, and after flying visits to Invercargill - they have a Lowe street, very exciting - and Queenstown again, we ended up in the hub of Western (or should that be South Eastern - damn you Mercator) Civilization - Wanaka.

This small skiing town is famous (ish) for more than just the crispness of its powder, however, and as we stepped from our Spaceship into the carpark of Staurt Landsbourgh's Puzzling World we knew we were in for a treat. Optical illusions, games and a 1.5km, multi-leveled layrinth. It took most mere mortals 1-2 hours to complete it's twists and turns, we completed it in barely 35 mins. Yes, sure nic had to be dragged around at a terrifyingly heart pumping pace and yes so many wrong turns were made that we may have looked a touch foolish at times, but damn it we kick the backside of those two cocky 8 year olds. Mwa ha ha.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb