Long time no blog...for 16 February 2009


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
March 2nd 2009
Published: March 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Army anyone?Army anyone?Army anyone?

Despite only having a population of 4 million, like Colorado, they have an Army, a Navy and an Air Force. Can you imagine spending say, 40 million on an airplane...that's 10 dollars for each person...besides, does anyone dislike the Kiwis?
It has been weeks since we have made an entry in this blog, and much has transpired. Let's start chronologically...PLEASE NOTE THE SECOND PAGE OF PHOTOS...

The third weekend in Feb., we went to Geraldine and Ashburton. We went with our Pediatrician friend from San Antonio who lives next door. Her name is Jorgina and she is originally from Brazil. Any concerns in how hard I am working pale in the face of her schedule. Her responsibilities are far above those of peds in the US. In NZ they are considered true specialists and basically only see referrals...no routine pediatric care, at least not in Timaru. She (or her cohort) must attend all Caesars, and her day is taken up with ward rounds and clinics for diabetic kids, kids with seizures, etc. I think there are some others in the pipeline, but currently there is only one other pediatrician that covers Timaru, one that comes into town from Christchurch. They cover half the week each...basically on call for everything. She has been getting crushed.

Anyway, Geraldine is a wee town (most of them are on the South Island) which is highly dependent on the tourism industry. It has far
I Site Center and SpeightI Site Center and SpeightI Site Center and Speight

Captain Cain's old customs house has been transformed into the Timaru I Site Center (tourist information and booking center) and the Speight's Ale house...looks like it would make a good prison...
too many wee restaurants and souvenirs to be supported by the town itself. It's a good job that they are located on the road from the mountain attractions (Mt Cook, Queenstown, etc.) and Christchurch whose airport is the frequent embarkation and/or debarkation point for the non-Kiwi. We wandered into Geraldine somewhat after noon, looking for the Farmer's Market. We discovered, to our dismay, that it closed around noonish. We went ahead and had lunch at the restaurant run by one of the OR nurses who I thought was named Jane...little did I know that the Kiwi pronunciation of Jean is Jane. No worries, though, as I called her Jane and it wasn't until I saw her name in writing that I figured it our.

We made it a full day, although we got a late start, stopping at the Tin Shed, the Ashburton RV Show, and finally a bit of culture in the park by Caroline Bay. A full Saturday, but we had a slow Sunday.

The solitude here is priceless. It is a nice change from all of the responsibilities and activities we have gotten ourselves into back home. Few know us, and fewer call us. That
Sign on the floor of the Speight's PubSign on the floor of the Speight's PubSign on the floor of the Speight's Pub

I disagree with the last statement, I think the Brits did one other thing simultaneously...see the next photo...
does have its pluses and minuses. Were the two of us not on the same page, or were I here alone, it would be a different story. One of the unintended consequences of this has been the strengthening of our relationship. We spend a lot more time together here than at home, and that has been brilliant. a baux o' floophy dux, as good as gawld...anyway, it has been great.

I will be posting the next blog early in the week, I hope.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

If you're British...If you're British...
If you're British...

And looking for a place to settle, you need not only a place to put a pub but also a place to plant a garden...like those in Britain...to remind you of Britain...even in the deserts of Africa (Nahid will attest to that in Khartoum and other "garden spots" in Sudan). So why make it more homey, and not make yourself home instead?
Making ourselves at home...Making ourselves at home...
Making ourselves at home...

We've already made ourselves at home in "our" garden, now we are trying our luck in the Pub...Jack is sipping the Speight's Summer Harvest brew (with real apricots included in the brew) and Nahid is having her favorite, a Chardonnay.
Interesting statement...Interesting statement...
Interesting statement...

Another statement on the floor of the pub...I heard another wit state (actually one of my partners here at TH) that one only "rents" beer, as it only spends a short time within the confines of your body.
Geraldine...Geraldine...
Geraldine...

Jorgina gave some coins to this gentleman who was playing his accordian on the sidewalk in Geraldine.
Easyway...Easyway...
Easyway...

The Easyway Cafe in Geraldine where we stopped for "looncsh." Had some of their meat pies...best I have had, unusually unsalty...suited my taste fine. I had the venison.
"Jane"..."Jane"...
"Jane"...

Or Jean, depending on whether pronunciation or spelling is more important to "yaou."
All purpose postcard 1All purpose postcard 1
All purpose postcard 1

While in Geraldine, I found this all purpose postcard that I will let each of you fill in to suit your purposes...
Postcard 2Postcard 2
Postcard 2

Here is the back of the card so you can get the complete picture.
Big weekend for hats...Big weekend for hats...
Big weekend for hats...

This was the first of a number of "ahts" Nahid test drove today, this in Geraldine.
Boas!!!Boas!!!
Boas!!!

Nahid fondles the knit possum-Merino mixture boas, while Jorgina pets the possum fur boa.
Beary funny...Beary funny...
Beary funny...

Although there are no bears (or any other predator or poisonous snake for that matter) in NZ, they are big on the teddy version, this particular pair dressed up for Valentine's day at a florist shop.
Kiwi Country...Kiwi Country...
Kiwi Country...

Proving that Americans are not the only ones with excess Chinese made authentic souvenirs, we found stuffed stuff of multiple varieties in this store...pillowslll
Kiwi Country...animals stuffed for any occasion...Kiwi Country...animals stuffed for any occasion...
Kiwi Country...animals stuffed for any occasion...

Sleeping kiwis and penguins playing with a rugby ball...


8th March 2009

love the blog
hey you two, y'all are looking like you're having way too much fun. nahid, you are looking specially lovely. good hubby time and lots of down time is good for you! love selah
9th March 2009

Hey, Great to hear from you
Hi Jack and Nahid, Was really good to hear from you guys. Sounds like you are having a good time in New Zealand. All is well here in the CO, we are really dry and unseasonbly warm. Not much to report, just working every once in awhile and liking it.ha! Ron and I have been getting through the winter months waiting for spring to do some yard work. Thanks for the updates- enjoy hearing from you guys. Enjoy yourselves, you've earned it.
12th March 2009

Thanks for sharing!
I absolutely love the fact that you've added such humorous moments as your Shakespearean theatre picnic. I couldn't stop laughing!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb