Big Jer...Week of February 23


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
March 8th 2009
Published: March 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Randy and JerRandy and JerRandy and Jer

Friday night, after Jeremy got into town on the Atomic Shuttle, we and Randy Axelrod, our neighbor here in fortress America, went to his favorite Pub, the Creek on King Street for the evening roast. The meat in question was pork, which they rotate with beef and lamb. The three of us went over early while Jorgina and Nahid got dressed, and shared a brew.
This weekend our friend, Jeremy, came to visit us in T-town. Jeremy is a long term acquaintance, having graduated from high school slightly ahead of our sons, tried college, and, since he wasn't totally enthralled with what he was studying, joined the US Navy as a photographer. Traveled a lot, saw a lot, grew a lot, and the result is a wonderful young man. He has recently graduated from the University of Washington (where he is once again in contact with our two doctor sons), and, while he awaits starting grad school this summer, he is living in Christchurch doing some personal research. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with Jer. He is bright, funny, and has deep insights into himself and others.

He arrived on Friday afternoon. We had supper with our neighbor Randy at his favorite local pub, where he has a number of mates. I had a very lovely (there's that word, Jer) meat pie, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We were in the midst of some terrible and ridiculous torrential rains (as I have mentioned, the weather here has been so bad that people have taken to apologizing for it). On Saturday, we intended to drive toward
The American contingent...The American contingent...The American contingent...

in what is otherwise a workingman's pub. Randy has made friends with a number of the patrons, and they came up to greet us whilst we were eating.
the mountains...Lake Tekapoa and Mt. Cook, but after driving through Pleasant Point, it became clear (or rather cloudy) that the skies were too saturated with water to drive up there and expect to see anything, so we turned around, passed through T-town, and went south toward Omaru. I had looked at the Timaru Herald, the trusty local paper, and the forcast for our region indicated that there was "no chance of flooding." Obviously, whoever made that mis-statement had not gone outside and noted that the ground was saturated with water, and everything was water logged. However, the mantra "there is no chance of flooding" became a great comfort to us, as we drive along through what appeared to us very much to be flooding.

We went to Omaru and stopped at our favorite pizza place there, ate, and went up the road to the Moereki boulders. Due to the inclement weather, we did not want to brave the mud and rain to watch the penguins and seals at the lighthouse. We returned home. Nice, full day, though.

By Sunday, the rain had stopped, and the clouds had lifted. We decided to attempt to go to the mountains again,
"No chance of flooding...""No chance of flooding...""No chance of flooding..."

An ill informed road allows local precipitation to overflow itself...here on the Canterbury Plain, there is a lot of flatish land from the lava flows of the mountains that form the backbone of the country. Water has to go somewhere...
despite the marginal conditions. We were rewarded with partly cloudy skies by the time we got to Tekapoa, and visited the Church of the Good Shepherd, the Sheepdog Monument, and Mt. John. I saw an article in the paper that the largest lamb exporting company in NZ was eliminating sheepdogs in their processing plants owing to the concerns of animal rights activists that the dogs were "distressing" the sheep...as if being turned into lamb shanks and cutlets doesn't "distress" them. This is along the line with research the Kiwis are doing to decrease the amount of methane that cows and sheep "burp" (I don't think the burps are the problem, I think it is the other end of the animal) and its contribution to global warming...the world has gone mad!

Mt. John is an interesting place. The observatory was set up in the 60's or 70's as a place for the US Air Force to monitor Soviet satellites. It was handed back to the Kiwis in the 80's owing to objections from the Soviets. This place is one of the few places in the world where there is nearly no air polution to cause light scatter for visual telescopy
"No chance of flooding 2...""No chance of flooding 2...""No chance of flooding 2..."

This backhoe belongs to a guy that was driving along with his son and noticed the local gendarmes attempting to get logs that were obstructing flow of water through the culvert under the road. He asked if they needed help and brought his backhoe in to try to help. I saw the backhoe reaching under the bridge and was afraid it would get pulled over. A picture of this appeared in the Timaru Herald.
(except when the Auzzies have the terrible fires of last month). It is also one of the few places you can go to have near astronautic darkness since there are few lights around to clutter things up. The Kiwis have been sucessful in getting the place designated as a "starlight reserve" by the United Nations, which will probably increase tourism and result on restrictions on the type and shielding of light in the town at the end of Lake Tekapoa (curiously named Tekapoa).

From here we returned to T-town as Jer needed to catch the Atomic back to Christchurch. Nice weekend, awful weather...but no worries, no chance of flooding...lovely, Jeremy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

"No chance of flooding 3...""No chance of flooding 3..."
"No chance of flooding 3..."

An ill informed sign which we saw along the road...
Filodelphio again...Filodelphio again...
Filodelphio again...

At the Filodelphia Pizzaria in Omaru with Jer and Jorgina. Lots of interesting autographs on the walls...I presume they repaint the walls intermittently to allow new applicants.
Nurses....Nurses....
Nurses....

I believe the other word is home, although I am not sure where that might be. This was probably pinched from another location and placed on the back patio of Filodelphio's.
Seawall splash...Seawall splash...
Seawall splash...

Not only was it raining forever, but it was super windy, and the South Pacific (Pacific is an oxymoron here) was not happy. Here you see the seawall doing its job of protecting the harbor.
A rare bird...A rare bird...
A rare bird...

Here you see one of the rarest penguins in the world, the red haired ("Ginga" per Kiwi terminology) giant penguino, penguinus jermeyus.
Boulder Hopping...Boulder Hopping...
Boulder Hopping...

Here is the "Ginga tallus" in mid hop moving amongst the famous Moereki Boulders. Note his seeming lack of concern for the oceanic waters swirling around him.
Boulder Hiding...Boulder Hiding...
Boulder Hiding...

Jer attempts to hide from the incoming waves by crouching inside one of the cracked up boulders. I tried to tell them that they would not float, but like any good American, he wanted to make it work. (Remember, we made concrete ships during WW II).
Boulder Standing...Boulder Standing...
Boulder Standing...

I cleverly attempt to disguise the 7 inch or so difference in height by "enhancing" my height with an "elevator boulder" in my shoes.
"No chance of flooding 4...""No chance of flooding 4..."
"No chance of flooding 4..."

Once again, we are heartened by the knowledge that forecasters have told us that there is no chance of what we are seeing happening...
Clearing skies on a Sunday morning...Clearing skies on a Sunday morning...
Clearing skies on a Sunday morning...

Reattempting our trip to the west, we encounter somewhat clearing skies...
Church of the Good Shepherd...Church of the Good Shepherd...
Church of the Good Shepherd...

At Lake Tekepoa. Gentleman there is to invite us in for the service, or ask us to "stand away from the door" if we are not interested to keep the noise down until the service is over.
Rock Piles...Rock Piles...
Rock Piles...

Jeremy places one little measley stone on the cairn and expects to take credit for the whole thing. I, of course, being the defender of truth and fairness would have none of it...
Rock Piles2 ...Rock Piles2 ...
Rock Piles2 ...

Authentic cairnoconstructionists stand next to their masterpiece.
Sunday afternoon cowboy...Sunday afternoon cowboy...
Sunday afternoon cowboy...

Jer does his rodeo impression on the statue erected in honor of the service provided to NZ by the faithful sheepdog...Jeremy better "chick seex" lest he lose part of his hindquarters to those sheepdogs outraged by this outrageous behavior.
Cairns development...Cairns development...
Cairns development...

Ever on the alert for a catchy name, the developers of the town of Tekapoa utilize the rockists to promote their product.
Up on Mt. John...Up on Mt. John...
Up on Mt. John...

What an absolutely lovely name for a mountain. The terrible trio stop for a cuppa at the cafe with Lake Tekapoa in the background.
The Silver Fern...The Silver Fern...
The Silver Fern...

Most Baristas attempt to make a heart on the top of their cappuccino, but that at the Mount St. John Observatory Cafe makes a silver fern, the logo of NZ.
A photographer as well...A photographer as well...
A photographer as well...

This is our Barista displaying one of his two cd's of sky photos which display the stunning stellar visuals which occur regularly in the skies above Mt. John.
Jeremy on a rock (not in a rock) overlooking Lake Tekapoa...Jeremy on a rock (not in a rock) overlooking Lake Tekapoa...
Jeremy on a rock (not in a rock) overlooking Lake Tekapoa...

As if the guy needs to stand on a rock to look tall...Holy Cow...
Back in Timaru...Back in Timaru...
Back in Timaru...

Jeremy helps Captain Cain with his nasal congestion whilst waiting for the Atomic Shuttle to take him back to Christchurch...
Aviary in the Botanics...Aviary in the Botanics...
Aviary in the Botanics...

This showoff lives in our (nearly) personal garden...if you were in Wash Park on a fine summer day, you's be awash with volley ballers, joggers bikers, hanger outers, etc...here, it is just the occasional tourist and the birds...
And finally, Bobby Burns revisited...And finally, Bobby Burns revisited...
And finally, Bobby Burns revisited...

This guy really gets around. This statue of him is in the Timaru Botanicals...similar to the one in Dunedin. Even though he was never here, he gets statues all over. They are big on monuments and statues here. Perhaps that is because their history is only 160 years or so old, so they can get away with it. In another couple hundred years, there won't be room for people to live...


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb