Christchurch and wandering Timaru


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
February 9th 2009
Published: February 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Chemist revision, downtown SumnerChemist revision, downtown SumnerChemist revision, downtown Sumner

Here is a chemist's shop which has gone from the idea of physician directed medication to self-medication, a la ETOH.
Last weekend, we went to Christchurch. We spent a lazy couple of days walking on the beach at the beach resort in Sumner, where we stayed at the Mariner Backpackers Hostel (beware of the rooms next to the kitchen or any other public area), and went downtown to take in some of the action at the Buskers' Festival. We saw some very good acts, as well as some that left us cold on what was otherwise a very hot day. Thank God for Starbuck's!!! Actually, I had my standard summer iced vente Americano latte with sugar free flavoring. Forgot to bring my Starbuck's card so I had to pay for the syrup. There are now at least two Starbuck's in Christchurch, plus the one in Dunedin makes three of the four on the South Island that we have seen. We'll get to the one in Queenstown when out boys come out.

The portion of the Buskers we went to see was only a small number of the hundreds of shows around town during the week long international celebration. We took in what we could, slept in when we wanted and generally had a relaxing time. The hostel was fun as
Amateur BuskerAmateur BuskerAmateur Busker

Approaching Cathedral Square in Christchurch we found a young lady demonstrating her Suzuki skills. Buskers actually get paid the same way. They were invited here from thousands of applications. They ask the audience to vote via text message, and the best ones get invited back next year.
we met some very interesting folks there...an African American woman who has just spent a few months working for Raytheon (of Englewood, CO) in Antartica, and is considering whether she wants to winter there (did you hear about the "jelly" wrestling scandal that came out in the local press last week?). We also met a psychologist from the UK who is working here for a few months while she decides what she wants to do with her life. Very interesting. The common areas, particularly the kitchen put you in contact with random people and make for great conversations.

Since I have some space, I'll comment a bit more about my practice here. I leave for the hospital at around 0735, arriving about 0737. I wander into the day surgery area and check the schedule (if I have a list) to see whether I have seen and consented all my cases for the morning. If I don't have a list, I will check to see if I have any preop patients to see in the surgery admission clinic for the AM or PM. After taking care of this, I change into scrubs, which is basically a white polo shirt or
Look what I found!!!Look what I found!!!Look what I found!!!

Nahid's nose is usually the one that sniffs out the Starbuck's, but this time it was me...maybe she had a cold.
blue scrub and blue or white pants. If I am on call, I will wander into the office and see if there are any add ons for me to do (seizers, etc). If I have a list, I wander to the room to get set up for an 0830 start, confirming with the anesthesia tech the PLAN. The lists are generally done by 1230, lunch is from 1230 to 1330 when the afternoon lists start. I finally did my first labor epidural today (02/09), so it took me over a month to get tagged. Went in nicely, great help from the nurse midwife. (No tech there). Going home time is variable depending whether I am on call, have a list or just some pre-ops to see. I am getting the hang of this thing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Former Christchurch Mayor wearing a seagull.Former Christchurch Mayor wearing a seagull.
Former Christchurch Mayor wearing a seagull.

Why would anyone want a statue of themselves erected when they know it will suffer such indignities?
Inside the CathedralInside the Cathedral
Inside the Cathedral

The sanctuary of the Cathedral
A bit of bathroom humor...A bit of bathroom humor...
A bit of bathroom humor...

Lots of off color jokes from most of the buskers despite a lot of younger and older folks in the audience. Different ideas of propriety here in the southern hemisphere.
The Chess Game must go on...The Chess Game must go on...
The Chess Game must go on...

Despite the proponderance of interest being focused on the buskers nearby, a game of life sized chess still draws a crowd.
Self promoting guySelf promoting guy
Self promoting guy

Many of the buskers are a bit too self enraptured. This guy was talented, but oh so in love with himself.
Birdman blows it...Birdman blows it...
Birdman blows it...

Christchurch's own Birdman, a juggler ,stuffed penguin manipulator, and "odd duck" drops one of the orange balls as he tries to juggle six at once (note the green one in his right hand).
Our favorites...Our favorites...
Our favorites...

This married couple from Israel was an acrobatic team that combined humor, romance, strength, skill and agility. They are known as Cirque No Problem. http://www.cirquenoproblem.com/home.html
On the way back to Sumner...On the way back to Sumner...
On the way back to Sumner...

Nahid talked me into walking the 8 miles or so back from downtown...I found this building on the way...looks like some kind of fraternal organization RA Order of the Buffalo. Perhaps a misplaced group of CU Buff Club members...GO BUFFS!!!
Look at the cones on that baby!!!Look at the cones on that baby!!!
Look at the cones on that baby!!!

Another of my spies on the way back to Sumner...
Another odd duck...Another odd duck...
Another odd duck...

Great pizza, though a bit pricey...notice the native Sumner lass standing in front of one of the zeros.
Scarborough Fare...Scarborough Fare...
Scarborough Fare...

Wonder if this is where Simon and Garfunkle were thinking about...
Surfin" NZ...Surfin" NZ...
Surfin" NZ...

The Beach Boys got nothing on these guys...Sumner Beach...temperature in the 80's.
What is it?What is it?
What is it?

Is this a tree or a cell phone tower?
Wierd Plants Part 3Wierd Plants Part 3
Wierd Plants Part 3

Coming out of a palm like device and layering out into a series of green cumulous clouds???
Wierd Plants Part 4Wierd Plants Part 4
Wierd Plants Part 4

Look at the size of this leaf. I think Eve's a lot more stylish..maybe more sequins??
Wierd flowers Part FiveWierd flowers Part Five
Wierd flowers Part Five

The stems are blue like the flowers.
Scripture HedgeScripture Hedge
Scripture Hedge

This garden we visited had the Lord's Prayer formed out of some bushes from beginning to end.


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0853s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb