Working and Walking in Timaru


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
January 25th 2009
Published: January 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Timaru HospitalTimaru HospitalTimaru Hospital

A picture heading east down Queen Street toward the hospital, and, at the end of the street, the South Pacific Ocean.
So here I am, our third weekend here in T-town, and I am in the latter end of a 67 hour shift of being on call. I only got called in twice, mid Saturday and mid Sunday morning for two cases each. I am on call for OB, but no epidurals were necessary, and I only got a couple other calls, so not so bad, methinks.

Some of you are interested in the practice here. Initially, I was a bit surprized at how hard I was working. Perhaps that was because I had backed off to 3/4 time back home, and I am working a bit more than that. I suspect that as I get more used to the system and less stressed, I won't feel like I am working so hard. I began my job the first day on the job, with a "seezer" (c-section) in the "theater" on Monday morning. We use 0.5% "heavy" or "plain" bupivicaine for our spinals, plus spinal morphine for the seezer and all ortho.

I have been surprised at the acuity of the patients. The patient base is older than I am used to, but of very hardy stock. I appreciate their
Timaru Assembly of GodTimaru Assembly of GodTimaru Assembly of God

Went to church this morning, got paged for a case about 15 minutes in, listened to the message and drove the 5 minutes to the hospital.
philosophy of life. Many are current or ex farmers or somehow involved in fishing, farming (sheep, dairy, produce) production or export in some way. The Port of Timaru has one of the largest warehouses in the world for dairy products for export. The conversion from sheeping to milking a few years ago with the availability of irrigation water (now coming into short supply) spurred the conversion.

The staff and surgeons are all very nice and very knowledgeable, pleasant to work with. I feel like other than the occasional language burble, things are good. The real stars for me are the anesthesia techs. Most other specialties get a week or so orientation to NZ medicine in Christchurch or Dunedin. We anaesthetists get none of that (we're too tough?), we get thrown directly into the fray. Actually, this is possible due to the presence of the techs. They know where things are, set things up, even do some of the stuff for us. Without them, it would be nearly impossible to be pressed into service so quickly. I am not sure how their job description compares to those in the US. I have one whenever am in the theatre, the exception
Could be Seatle or San Diego...Could be Seatle or San Diego...Could be Seatle or San Diego...

Nope, Caroline Bay in T-Town.
being on L&D when doing a labor epidural where the nurse midwives help us. Seezers are done in the theatre.

My house is just across the Botanical Gardens (a feature in any town here of adequate size...very British...it's like a hilly and foliaged and flowered Wash Park) from the Hospital, perhaps a 5 minute walk. No need to take in-house call, or to leave early to fight traffic.

Timaru has a number of ex-patriates of a number of countries who have moved here. A common theme is that this is a great and safe place to raise a family...not without problems, but on a much smaller level than even many other places in NZ, and certainly than the US, UK, etc. A down side is the slide in the NZ dollar, down from 0.70 to 0.52 at latest report. Good for tourists bringing US $ in, bad for those of us paid in NZ $. Timaru is also centrally located to a lot of the best the South Island has to offer.

Anyway, enough for now. By the way, the temperature only got into the mid-60's today, a big drop from the 90 degree weather of the
Sliding WindowsSliding WindowsSliding Windows

Interesting design allows windows to be moved to the side on days like today (nearly 90 or 31 for you Celcius fans.
weekend...it's a cold wind that blows...from the south.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Nice place for a cuppa or a glass of wineNice place for a cuppa or a glass of wine
Nice place for a cuppa or a glass of wine

I [Nahid] love to come here on my daily walks to write/study.
Entrance to our garden...Entrance to our garden...
Entrance to our garden...

I just found out from the resident gardner the name for these is agapanthus. Gigantic blue puffy things!!
Flowers GaloreFlowers Galore
Flowers Galore

Hydrangeas love it here...in shades of pinks, purples ..
Flowers love this place...Flowers love this place...
Flowers love this place...

Some how jogging around these gardens feels less painfull...
Philips MonitorPhilips Monitor
Philips Monitor

This is the standard monitor that is here in the Theater. We have four OR's. You can see that the blood pressure has fluctuated somewhat during this case. My biggest gripe about them is that they are ALWAYS alarming for some usually frivilous reason.
OhmedaOhmeda
Ohmeda

Typical setup in our Theaters. One of the ventilators is the old style where you set the minute volume and the respiratory rate, getting the tidal volume secondarily. Notice the bag at the end of a long hose. Took some getting used to, but I'm good with it now.
CartCart
Cart

Nothing special here.
Definitely Special HereDefinitely Special Here
Definitely Special Here

The staff knows the ropes...since we were here at lunch time, the hospital provided us with a free lunch (only on Sundays). It was nice...roast lamb, peas, mashed potatoes, squash, and creamed Pavlova (the meringue like national desert) with fruit (see the menu following).
The Order FormThe Order Form
The Order Form

Here is the order form that the patients normally fill out.
Food is not always...Food is not always...
Food is not always...

as good or as safe to eat.
Room with a viewRoom with a view
Room with a view

The view from the theatre...that is Mount Cook a bit to the left of the Basilica...a bit hard to see with the snow against a cloudy sky.
We command respect here...We command respect here...
We command respect here...

Sultans, we are...
Most valuable player...Most valuable player...
Most valuable player...

Here is an actual anesthesia tech at work. One is always there to keep me out of trouble, to help me remember the paperwork, help with cricoid pressure, start iv's, etc., and even bring the occasional cuppa. It is great to have someone who really knows what we need them to do and why we do it.
The handoff...The handoff...
The handoff...

The OR circulator making the handoff of our patient as he/she is transferred back to the floor. She seems to be saying, "You aren't really taking a picture, are you..." Of course not.
Useful information...Useful information...
Useful information...

A preliminary translation guide I found on the bulletin board in the staff lounge in theatre.
Police Notebook...Police Notebook...
Police Notebook...

This is the police notebook published on a recent Monday...the "crimes" aren't always as simple as most of these...these were probably connected to the sesqui-centennial (150 year) celebration of the first shipload of settlers to the town in 1858 on the Strathallen. (At the time about 5 houses were here).
The Postman Bikes on...The Postman Bikes on...
The Postman Bikes on...

This is a photo snapped by Nahid of our postman making his appointed rounds on his bicycle. Reminds me of my paper route back in the day...at least during the warmer months in Western New York State.


2nd February 2009

Hello!
Hello Jack and Nahid! Love reading your updates.
8th February 2009

We'll be in Te Anau soon!
Hi Jack and Nahid, We arrive in TeAnau Wed. Feb. 11 for a 5 day "tramp" of the Milford track followed by some kayaking, two days in Queenstown and then to the North Island. We will call you but unfortunately will not be near Timaru. Your photos look great! Deb Parsons and Dave Downs
9th February 2009

Te Anau
Have I given you phone numbers? jh

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb