Our house in Timaru


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
January 18th 2009
Published: January 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our Humble AbodeOur Humble AbodeOur Humble Abode

The far right porch and door opens directly into our bedroom. Typical of the British influence and architect that I grew up in, in Khartoum, Sudan. In a day, I find multiple reminders of these childhood memories.
Here are some photos of our house in Timaru.
In many ways the much smaller scale of our home makes life much simpler. Multiple walking trips a week to the wharf for fish, and grocery stores, carrying all in my back-pack, has become a fun routine for me.
The first time I used the oven it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to turn it on. Thankfully, the previous dwellers left the instruction manual.
Every electrical item is designed and installed with energy conservation in mind. This did take some getting used to. Still trying to figure out sorting the trash...
Shopping can be fun and full of surprises. After making home made salsa, I discovered that what i purchases as ' tomato sauce' was really Ketchup! and very spicy at that!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Down the James Street DrivewayDown the James Street Driveway
Down the James Street Driveway

our yard looks like we live in the desert...but really this is a very lush and green place. The xeriscape makes for easy maintenance for residents.
The Living RoomThe Living Room
The Living Room

From the front door, the hallway to the right goes to the bedroom. The left one - to the second small bedroon, bathroom and 'Toilet Room'.
The KitchenThe Kitchen
The Kitchen

All brand new appliances.
What?? Not 3 Refrigerators !!What?? Not 3 Refrigerators !!
What?? Not 3 Refrigerators !!

Actually, I love the FORCED simplicity. I am weaning my self from a 'hording syndrome'! The 2 of us can actually live quite well with a lot less...
Our Two Part LooOur Two Part Loo
Our Two Part Loo

So 4 weeks later...in the middle of the night it is still easy to forget what is where...
Storage/Hot WaterStorage/Hot Water
Storage/Hot Water

Every single electrical device has a second switch to turn it on, attached right next to the plug. So can't have hot water if it is not ON, even though plugged.
Master through the DoorMaster through the Door
Master through the Door

This glass door opens directly to the porch and front yard. At night we can hear the ocean waves from here.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb