Christchurch and wandering Timaru


Advertisement
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
February 9th 2009
Published: February 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last weekend, we went to Christchurch. We spent a lazy couple of days walking on the beach at the beach resort in Sumner, where we stayed at the Mariner Backpackers Hostel (beware of the rooms next to the kitchen or any other public area), and went downtown to take in some of the action at the Buskers' Festival. We saw some very good acts, as well as some that left us cold on what was otherwise ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

AkaroaAkaroa
Akaroa

Peninsula in the distance, along with the mountain chain forming the backbone of the South Island
A large boatA large boat
A large boat

Found this large boat and a couple animals in this garden as well.
Back to TimaruBack to Timaru
Back to Timaru

And the giant hand clutching a garage door opener. Good job that we don't have a garage.
Nahid test driving....Nahid test driving....
Nahid test driving....

too much hat and bag.
What are these guys looking at...What are these guys looking at...
What are these guys looking at...

All these gulls are facing the same direction for some reason...are they looking at guys?
More bathroom humor...Sumner HostelMore bathroom humor...Sumner Hostel
More bathroom humor...Sumner Hostel

Notice the two flush buttons...the one at the left gives half a flush, that on the right a full one. Your imagination why. Ecologically sound but strange. Random green tarfish decoration for some reason.
Large floating condo...Large floating condo...
Large floating condo...

The Seven Seas Voyager, reputedly the best cruise ship in the world owing to its all suite all balcony accomodations, running around $1000 NZ per day, (or more if you need a grand piano and two butlers) stopped in Timaru Saturday for a few hours on its way around the world (120 days). It stopped here because the two berths at Dunedin were occupied. Happens here once a year. Comments were heard from the passengers that it is only 2/3 full due to cancellations from the economic situation and that there was nothing to buy here...sad, really, no trinkets to sell to these obviously well-heeled and eager buyers, many of whom are from the US of A.
Can't you come up with another name?Can't you come up with another name?
Can't you come up with another name?

Who would select a name like this for their company...
A Housie?A Housie?
A Housie?

What the heck is a housie? I know these bagpipers are trying to raise money to go to Scotland in August for a big Piping get together, but how is a housie going to help? Addendum from work 02/09 Discovered that a housie (pronounced haazee) is actually a game played by old women...like bingo, maybe. Perhaps there is more $ in that than it would seem. There are numerous gaming (electronic gambling machinery) places here, of course associated with bars (to loosen up the old wallet stringe).
Hmmmm...Hmmmm...
Hmmmm...

Probably a political statement rather than a fact.
Jogging...Jogging...
Jogging...

This is the only safe place for me to walk. Crossing intersections has proven to be more dangerous for me than driving. It is a miracle I have not been hit yet! I found it is much safer to jay walk. That way I only have to deal with cars coming from the right or the left, not from multiple angles turning, round abouting, etc... I ALWAYS look the WRONG way when I approach the curb...



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb