A Funny Bunny


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
April 15th 2006
Published: April 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Luge TrackThe Luge TrackThe Luge Track

Oh how we swooped and twirled
Hi folks, happy easter and welcome to a late night blog from the heart of Queenstown's premier and best night managed liqour establishment.

As mentioned in the previous blog life at the moment continues to be excitingly mundane inter-mingled with myself and claire's domesticated bliss. Tonight i'll make my way home at 9pm when i finsh serving and humping beer and hopefully be rewarded with sausage curry a la claire. Failing that ill make myself cornedbeef sandwhiches.

The job situation is still very the same with claire going off to work cleaning hotel rooms and finding a fine array of left-behind t-shirts in the morning, then returning to work the Hippo Lodge's front desk in the afternoon and evening. And i still hav the fantastic honour of cleaning toilets for my rent untill noon most days, before jetting off to Liqour King. I feel as a hump around my crats of beer at least i'm surrounded by freinds, and finally there is money entering rather than leaving the bank account. Occasionally something fun will happen and i'll randomly charge someone a wrong ammount or have my hair ruffled for haing a far too english accent, but on the whole
Gondola OblongataGondola OblongataGondola Oblongata

Latin for having to ride a gondola
it's just a job. ho hum.

The other events for us over the last couple of days centered around the sad and teary departure of Laurel and Katie, our American heroes who provided so much laughter on our front porch till the wee small hours of most days. They were also fantastically responsible for serving up mine and claires first thankgiving dinner (english yorkshires which worked by me into the bargin) which was riotess and great. Chicken (no turkey out here), the best mash potatoes ever, real stuffing made using chopped up bread and a whole host of other tasties. We also made a pact that we should meet up to do a road trip across the states (plans are still changing daily) so my latest idea is to try and drive san fran to NYC overland on the way back home - yeah. We also had one or two (hmm) customary drinky nights to aid thier moving on to ozzy, asia and europe.

Crumbs..nearly forgot the one thing i did do recently, i find the days merge so. A couple of days ago myself, laurel, katie and american brian persuded Paul our boss at the hippo to pull some strings and get us up the gondola that takes people up to the top of the mountain that gives spectacular views over Queenstown (see photo on previous blog). Well, we had a fantastic day (this twas just prior to the thanksgiving dinner) free ride up the mountain and then 3 thrill packing luging rides down part of the hill (ski lifts take yo back up again). The track was 800m and it's pure fun fun fun. I'll try and get some photos posted of near misses, near crashes and general happy faces beofre too long.

Anyway we are both still fine as ever and frank is still hanging on as well, although in a much reduced capacity (good job too as fuel has just taken a 9c hike in price - very rude).

Will report more as and when it happens.

marc
x


Advertisement



16th April 2006

Frank and the weather
Hi. This blog is making a facinating read, keep it up. Just two queries now you are a few months into having Frank any regrets on not getting a campervan. I guess the people you meet in the hostles makes the hostles better than camping. Are there many camp sites? Second could we have a tiny bit of news on the weather so we can be envious of your sun in our winter and smug about our sun in your winter, if it turns out that way! There are other reasons as well.
29th April 2006

Howdy!
Hey Marc! Been catching up on your blogs seeing as I've been away treknig myself for a couple of weeks. Still loving them as always! Disappointed you didn't climb the hill but lazily got the Gondola - haha! I think I stayed at Hippo Lodge too...... Didn't realise your stint in NZ was so long. When u plan on going back to Old Blighty? Or have you fallen in love with NZ so much that u plan staying there forever?? Be good to hear from you, Simon [emailing from crazy Kathmandu]

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb