No Bungy


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
March 27th 2006
Published: March 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Say NO to bungy.Say NO to bungy.Say NO to bungy.

You know it makes sense.
Note to readers: This blog is best read in a Pam Ayers accent:

We feel no need to Bungy, or to Jump out of a Plane,
From Canyoning and Climbing Rocks, we really must refrain.
Some folks think Rafting's magical, it fills their hearts with glee,
But it's not for us Me Hearties, coz it's dangerous you see!

But we're hanging out in Queenstown, and what folk here like to do,
Is Adventure Sports and scary stuff that makes us need to poo!
You can Jetboard, Abseil, Paraglide, but listen, that's not all.....
You can also Roll Down Mountainsides inside a plastic ball.

Yes we're in the capital of Fear, ...of Danger and of Thrills,
But the thought of death brings headaches, then we're reaching for our pills.
Y'know, we'd rather walk a mile or eat a Country Pancake,
Coz that's better than the prospect of a twisted wrist or back break!

Some think that we are Scaredy Cats, you know what - they are right,
We're not bothered, we admit it, coz we both know that tonight....
We won't be down Queenstown General, screaming ''Dr, please go faster....
....bring me Morphine, make it quick, and get my ankle bone in plaster!!!!!!!''

Our time here has been lovely though, we really can't complain,
There are gorgeous bars and cafes, selling ten types of Champagne!
The shops are posh, the restaurants cool, the scenery is splendid,
What can we say, we'd come again! And now our poem's ended!

Alan & Shaz. 2 Non Bungy-ers. March 2006. xx






Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

A lie.A lie.
A lie.

These guys look as though they are enjoying their jump, staring down at us with a jolly gaze from this poster. However. We heard the screams of terror coming from the paragliders from above Beryl in the camperpark we stayed in, located directly adjacent to the place where they land.
Delivering some Milk Tray?Delivering some Milk Tray?
Delivering some Milk Tray?

Why no, its merely one of the millions of paragliders dropping out of the sky every two minutes 360 days a year in Queenstown.
And when they land with a thud....And when they land with a thud....
And when they land with a thud....

...then its off to see the doctor. There are loads and loads of doctors surgeries and physios in Queenstown. Can't think why. Hhmmm...
Southern CrossSouthern Cross
Southern Cross

...it's the best we could do with our camera, Gaz. To get a bigger shot we'd need a telescope. Hope you like!
Haast RiverHaast River
Haast River

Note the craggy rocks and pointy dead tree stumps sticking out of the water.
Haast river again....Haast river again....
Haast river again....

....with a jet boat nipping between the scary bits. These jet boats can operate in very shallow water. It costs about 100 quids to go on a 3 hour river 'cruise' with plenty of adrenaline pumping moments.
Next left for Aboyne!Next left for Aboyne!
Next left for Aboyne!

Tell us... does this not totally look like Scotland??!!
Alan checks his map in Beryl.Alan checks his map in Beryl.
Alan checks his map in Beryl.

So far Shaz has not driven Beryl.
Bra fence, Cardrona, near Queenstown.Bra fence, Cardrona, near Queenstown.
Bra fence, Cardrona, near Queenstown.

Dont ask us why, coz we don't know. We just saw it and thought we better take a picture as its so mad, but we couldn't find out anything about it in the travel books...so if anyone knows what it's all about then please do enlighten us.
The GondolaThe Gondola
The Gondola

This chairlift takes you to the top of a big hill, right behind our campsite, and that's where folk do the paragliding from.
View from the bottom of 'The Mall'View from the bottom of 'The Mall'
View from the bottom of 'The Mall'

This is a real nice street in Queenstown where there are loads of lovely cafes, bars and restaurants, and some nice shops too.
When you get one of these in your town....When you get one of these in your town....
When you get one of these in your town....

...then you know your town has piles of money.


31st March 2006

Champagne vs Bungy - good choice!
Love the poem and I am in total agreement - no danger I'd do bungy! Unlike Frank Sinatra, I get a kick from champagne and that would be my choice over the other madness! We fly out (business class - thanks to mum and dad macleod for the upgrades!) to KL/Penang tomorrow then arrive in Oz on Thu. Using your past blogs as research!
31st March 2006

Lovely photo. Its now my background on my work machine! xx Gaz
31st March 2006

XTREME!
I agree with all your comments, about all those crazy stunts, and all those freaks who do them, are really stupid people!
31st March 2006

Loved It!
Move over Dr. Seuss - The Eggs have arrived. Loved the poem - I see a new career path for you both.
17th October 2006

Bra Fence
Bra Fence was started in 1999. 4 women put their bras on it. Over the years many other bras were added and it became abig tourist attraction. This year, Queenstown and Lakes District Council decided it was a hazard and so the bras have all been removed. A local woman, Celia Williams is writing a book about it to raise money for breast cancer research.

Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 97; dbt: 0.1219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb