Rafting the Shotover


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
January 31st 2010
Published: February 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Whitewater raftingWhitewater raftingWhitewater rafting

My group before we hit the rapids.
Queenstown reminds me a lot of Las Vegas. Sure, it’s a completely different place on the surface - smaller, outdoors oriented, peaceful, serene… But it’s very much the same in that there is a lot to do and you can blow through a lot of cash in no time. It virtually has its own currency, where it’s only another hundred dollars can be easily justified.

I set out on another run this morning and, upon my return and shower, found my roommates discussing the events of last night. Through our collective efforts we learned that the drunk girl had to sleep in another room and that (something I neglected to mention yesterday) Becky, Charlie and I had attempted to devise a plan to lock her out should she have any desire to bring her wrath inside the room. We were unsuccessful.

As such, we also learned that she did come into the room at one point early this morning. James, who sleeps right by the door and thinking it was Kat, feistily told her to “run down to the kitchen and fetch me some tea.”

As the stories continued, Becky, on her bed below mine, her view of
Here we goHere we goHere we go

At the top of the final set of rapids.
the door obstructed by my bath towel, went on a rant, questioning the drunk girl’s judgment. A few seconds into it, in walked the drunk girl, her eyes locked on the floor. Becky continued.

Frank, Becky’s boyfriend, sitting across from Becky, motioned that the drunk girl walked in.

Becky continued.

I gave an upward nod towards the door.

Becky continued until she finished what she had to say. Then, she finally noticed that the drunk girl had come in and was now on her way out.

On my way back from my run, I picked up some moisturizer and an exfoliating cream for my now peeling face. Mel had recommended it and I took her advice in spite of my feeling a little girly about it. But I have to say, it worked really well.

In the early afternoon, I headed out to the Queenstown rafting center to catch the bus to take part in today’s expensive activity of the day - whitewater rafting on the Shotover River. We went about 10 minutes outside of town where we changed into our wetsuits and got our lifejackets and helmets. Unfortunately, I couldn’t bring my camera
BuriedBuriedBuried

Buried underwater at the final rapid. I can hardly be seen.
along since there wasn’t anyplace to put it. There wasn’t even enough room in the wetsuit to put all of me. It’s a shame because I looked good in that wetsuit. Well, maybe not.

We then took the buses and rafts out to the starting point along the river. Once again, the drive alone was worth the price of admission. We had to climb a mountain to drop off a group that was taking a helicopter ride to the starting point. Then we descended the other side of the mountain, along a narrow dirt road with tremendous drops. A German guy that was in my bus put on his helmet. We learned that the backdrop of our ride was where some of the scenes from Lord of the Rings were filmed.

We arrived at the starting point, got suited up and were instructed to get into the river to cool ourselves off. A jet boater was horsing around nearby. He would come our way and quickly turn, splashing us with his wake.

We set off shortly thereafter. Our guide, Gabby, had asked for volunteers to sit up front. I immediately volunteered, as Charlie had told me “you want to be up front.” No one else did until an older gent from London named Tony spoke up.

The first part of the trip was very calm, as we learned the various instructions that needed to be followed - forward paddle, backwards paddle, left/right side paddle, shimmy shimmy shake (in case the raft got beached). We were encouraged to use our oars to splash the other rafts. A couple times everyone was allowed to roll out and float down the river to cool off. The water would have been pretty cold without the wetsuits. But with them it was refreshing.

As we approached our first portion of heavier rapids, we were given a couple other instructions - left side shift (everyone on the left side of the boat) and hold on sit down (squat in the bottom and hold on as it would get rough). We were the first raft through the first set of rapids and made it through successfully and with great enjoyment. We pulled along the side to watch the others and assist with anyone who fell out. No one fell out although the safety kayaker got turned and was stuck upside down for about 20 seconds in a swirling rapid. He recovered and we all continued on.

We did a couple more class 3-4 rapids (allegedly rated that way because of their placements one after another and not because of any given rapid). On one, where we were in hold on sit down, our raft tipped to what felt like close to 90°, with my side in the water. Tony had been holding onto a rope in the front, which did him no good as the raft went up sideways. All I remember seeing was his oar go flying and his body come tumbling down on mine. Somehow I managed to catch him with my body and remained holding on to my rope. The raft went back on its bottom and catastrophe was averted. Tony’s paddle was waiting for him about 50 yards down stream.

At one point, above us was a bungy swing but we weren’t treated to any jumpers. Also along the way we spotted people sifting for gold; remnants of the times a hundred years ago when gold diggers showed up from around the world. We were told that at one point there was a pub located every half kilometer along the road between Queenstown and the gold mining to keep the Irish and the Aussies preoccupied, leaving the gold for the kiwis.

Before the final set of rapids we went through a long dark tunnel, which Tony helped steer us through. As we emerged, we saw the last and roughest rapids. Above them was a photographer. The camera flashed and Tony and I were buried under the water along with the front end of the boat as we went down the slope. We emerged unscathed but soaking wet, a fine end to our two hours on the water.

I got back, showered up and, after deliberating with James and Charlie between heading to the beach and a hostel trivia night) joined James, Charlie, Frank and a few others down by the beach. They were getting set to play card games. We opted for casino-style blackjack, with everyone paying in drinks. I hadn’t been planning on a big night so when I won all of my hands but one, I was pretty happy. Frank didn’t fare as well - he got destroyed on his deal. Before Charlie and I could deal, Kat came down to get us for trivia, which we ended up doing anyway.

The trivia game was hosted by the hostel and featured teams of 4-6 people competing for a NZ$100 (US$75) bar tab at World Bar. Thanks to our (me, James, Charlie, Kat and Izzy, short for Isabelle) varying degrees of obscure knowledge on things such as all the members of the Jackson 5, world capitals and the mountain where the Olympic torch starts, we emerged victorious.

I was hoping to hit the rack early since I planned to get up early tomorrow but I had to go celebrate. Well, the first drink was free since we had a card for a free one before 10:30. Then I had to do one on our winning bar tab. Then that one became two. We took off to Winnie’s for a bit and planned to come back later. I bailed; if I didn’t I wouldn’t be making it to Milford Sound tomorrow. And that’s a can’t miss.

It’s hard to believe that this is my 100th travel blog. If nothing else that means I’ve seen and done quite a bit over the last year. No kidding, right?


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb