No Adventure in the Adventure Capital


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
July 9th 2009
Published: July 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 80 (Thursday 09/07/09, NJJ)
Heard air raid sirens going off this morning. These are used when the emergency service volunteers are needed. There was an accident on the Milford Road due to the ice and snow and a person on a tourist bus was killed, understandably the road was closed for a time. We consider ourselves lucky to have done the trip yesterday. Drove on to Queenstown stopping along the way to take photos. Had lunch in back of van. Walked around town. As we're travelling on a budget, and J has a bad back (and a million other things wrong with him) we didn't go for any of the extreme sports but Queenstown is definitely the NZ adventure capitol. Drove along Glenorchy Queenstown Road. Stopped at LOTR locations (Amon Hen and Ithilien). On to Arrowtown via Queenstown. Beautiful landscape along the way but we couldn't stop as the petrol light was on. We couldn't find a petrol station in Arrowtown and when we asked someone they said the nearest was back in Q'town so we drove back there, I think it was 20+km, holding our thumbs (i.e. fingers crossed) all the way in the hope that we would not break down. We made it - phew! Filled up the tank then back to Arrowtown. Had a walk along the river and along the main street. Checked in to Arrowtown Holiday Park at 6pm. Cooked the usual for dinner. An old Kiwi fella came in to talk to us for a while. He thought he said we were Swedish when he asked out nationality!?! Back to the van and went to sleep sometime around 10.30pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb