More of the South Island...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
July 5th 2009
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey Guys,

We've been so super busy over the last couple of weeks we haven't had time t stop and get on the internet!

If we start where we left off we woke up in Wellington the next morning with a banging headache and major hangover so didn't crawl out of bed til midday. We got up slowly and had some lunch before visiting the Te Papa Museum which was really fun and free! The most amazing thing was a collossal squid they had preserved there. It was really freaky! We watched a film in the evening, The Proposal, it was really good and hd the fitty Ryan Reynolds in it.

The Next day we packed up again and headed off to the South Island. The ferry took 3 hours which gave us some good sleeping time and we woke just in time to sea dolphins swimming by the side of the ferry. Awesome. We picked up some more bus people on the other side and cotined driving down to Nelson. We all fel lazy so decided to take a walk to the geographical centre of New Zealand, on the top of a hill. There were amazing veiws from the top and we definatley got a bit of colour to our cheeks. In the Evening we wathed the All Blacks play in the pub and afterwards Grace and some others went out but didn't drink too much for once.

Sunday we headed down to Westport. On the way we stopped at Lake Roiti, a beautiful lake surrounded by huge mountain. We did a walk aound the Lake and I coughed the whole way, got a nice chest infection for the last week and a half! We ariived at Basils Hostel and got given he most amazing room that made everyone else jealous. We had a kitchenette and an ensuite an a double bed! For no extra cost! So pleased, best of all there was complimentary tea and coffee, couldn't ask for anything more. We spent the evening in the TV room and watched about 4 films in a row.

Monday we set off to Lake Manihupua, stopping on the way for another scenic walk. It was costal and towards the end of the walk we saw hundreds of seals on the rocks. There was some gorgeous baby ones and the wiggled about on their tummy's. I want to take one home! I was getting really ill and Grace bought me a tea to try and cheer me up. We stopped for a second walk to see the pancake rocks which Grace tells me werereally cool and she got some pics. We had some lunch but i lost my appitite- don't worry Nan it's back in full force! We went o go and pick up some things to make our outfits for the party we were having in the evening. The theme was abc- anything but clothes so Grace made a tutu out of newspaper and Charlotte made a plate dress. Grace wrapped me in some bin bags because i didn't have the energy. When we arrived at the Pooh pub where we were staying we went to the beach to watch the sunset which was beautiful. We then had a steak dinner and venison stew with potatoes. We got into our outfits and braved the cold. The pub was really sweet and everyone had a really good night. I stayed for a little while for pictures and then turned in for an early night.

The next morning we were picked up for our sky dive bright and early. They drove us up the mountains to the Fox Galcier in Franz Josef where we were jumping from. It was a beautiful drive but everyone was feeling pretty sick and Charlotte puked in the car- nice. We got there andbefore i knew it they had suited me up an Charlotte and i were going up in the plane. I wasn't too nervous and the scenery was amazing so we got some really good pictures. I watched the plane climb and it seemed to take forever to get to 12000ft. When we finally did the instructor put my goggles on and opened the door. We took a couple of pics of me hanging out the plane and then he let go. I was plummiting towards the ground and 120mph which apparently is the equivalent to passing a 20 storey building a second. It was incredible. After about 45seconds he pulled the chute and we jotled upright and it all went quite and i had a few minutes to appreciate the veiws and take more pictures. I wanted to do it again as soon as i youched the ground. When i gotback it was Graces go. She thought it was amazing too. In the afternoon we checked into our room and had lunch and fell asleep on the sofa. I was still really ill 😞 Grace went to the pub in the evening with Charlotte and i went to bed.

Wednesday we went on our Glacier Hike. We got kitted up in all the gear and drove up to Franz Josef Glacier. We got split into groups and Grace feeling lazy went for group three and me being ill went for group 4. It was 2km walk to the base of the gacier and then we put on our crampons which are grippy spikes for our shoes and walked on the ice. It was so beautiful i've never seen anything like it in my life. The ice at points was a couple of feet over our heads and was bright blue and clear. It was hard work but it was worth it. We Had luch sitting on the glacier and continued walking pretty much all day. We saw tunnels and caves and glacier pools. We were exhausted by the end of the day and went back to the hostel to sit in the hot pool and relax. We got a pub dinner and Had a few drinks.

The next day we drove down to Wanaka. It was incredible because it started snowing and didn't stop all day and everything looked so beautiful. We were singind x-mas songs, or at least i was! the bus got stuck because of a crash and we had to sit in the snow for ages. some people had snowball fights. We eventually got to Wanaka a bit later than planned and had some noodles before heading to the local cinema, famous for their homebaked cookies. Unfortunatly it was fully booked so we waited and got a half time cookie and way. It was delicious. We went back and watched a flm in the TV room.

From Wanaka we drove to Queenstown. We are here for 8 days so we spent the first two getting drunk and lying in bed hungover. We went to a gcouple of good bars. Grace won a twister competition and so we won a trip to the hot pools so were saving it for after a day of skiing.Tonight we are going to chill out in the TV roomagain because were off on a trip tomorow.

I hope everyone at home is well and i can't believe how unfair it is you get good weather while we're not there, what the hell?

Love you all so much, missing you! Soph and Gracie xxx

Advertisement



5th July 2009

Nice Entry Again
Hi girls, nice entry again. Mum and I are pleased that you are still getting a lot from your trip and also jealous that you are now so much better travelled than we are! Something wrong surely? Love Dad xx

Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb