Barrytown!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Punakaiki
January 20th 2009
Published: January 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone!!

Im afraid these next blogs are going to be quite short a) because i need to go to the airport soon and really want to get as many blogs done as possible and b) because it feels so long ago now that i cant remember everything we did!!

We left Abel Tasman early in the morning and made our way to Barrytown, making a few stops on the way, the only one of which I can remember right now was visiting the seal colony, where we saw lots of cute baby seals on the rocks and the pancake holes which were big caves on the west coast which blew water through the holes in the roofs like whales when the tide came in! We finally got to Barrytown (which we called Barry-no-town because only about 40 people live there and theres pretty much nothing there!) about 8pm... late as usual! We werent allowed our roast dinner until we had raided the fancy dress boxes and dressed up!! I wore a weird Asian-looking dressinggown thing with armbands and did my make-up horrifically.... i looked gross! hehe! Dinner was really disgusting and cold! :o( But the evening ended up being really fun and the guys at the bar gave Lisa and I control of the juke box for the first hour and Magpie, our driver, was getting us free drinks! :o)

The next morning most of us went and did the only thing there is to do in Barrytown... bone carving!! The bone is cow shin and you make traditional Kiwi necklaces out of it! It took about 3-4 hours and was hard work but really really fun and im happy with mine.... mine is a sort of dolphins tail... hard to explain but i like it! :o) The only horrible thing was the thousands of sandflies who were eating us alive and have left us scratching ever since... even now!! Those are the kind of stops that Kiwi Experience and the other companies dont do so Im glad we did our tour with stray becaues those kind of cultural or different stops are really fun!! :o)

Lots of love xxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb