Day 412-414: Nelson, New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Nelson
March 17th 2010
Published: March 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, March 14th


Doug and Karen are passionate outdoorsmen. They have five kayaks, eleven bicycles and an insatiable appetite for adventure and the outdoors. After a delicious fruit, muesli and yogurt breakfast Doug and Talita packed a cooler full of snacks and water, we loaded two ocean kayaks on Doug's truck, then set off for Cable Bay, a half hour's drive to the north. Because Karen was working night-shift she was sleeping and unfortunately couldn't join us.

At the bay we got the double kayak. It was our first time using a rudder while paddling and we were amazed at how easily a kayak turns when it has a rudder. We'd also forgotten how easy it is to paddle with double paddles (lately we've only used the single paddles in our canoe) and we flew through the water.

We made our way north, explored some caverns and paddled through tunnels in the rocks. In one of the tunnels Ferdi got the dive mask and swam a bit, hoping to see some fish. There were a few around but not enough for him to stay in the freezing water. We paddled for a while longer, Doug leading us to a secluded little bay he'd found on an earlier trip, and we saw tons of jellyfish floating beneath us.

Once at the little bay we unloaded the cooler and enjoyed an awesome snack lunch of crackers, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, two dips and lots of fresh veggies. When our bellies were stuffed we took turns surfing the small kayak off the rocky beach into the water. We got the dive masks again and swam into the bay. We saw a few fish and got close to a big jelly, but the water was just too cold to stay in for long.

After a long time chatting on the rocks we paddled back to the truck and headed home. We had a shower followed by a huge dinner of roast veggies and pasta. Later we all walked down to the local pub for a pint of locally brewed draught and back home we had ice-cream and strong brandied-cherries for dessert.

Today's highlights:
1. Paddling trip in a proper ocean kayak.
2. Picnic lunch in a secluded little bay.
3. Surfing the kayaks down the pebbly beach.
4. Locally brewed draught.

Monday, March 15th


When we finally made our way out of bed we found that Karen had baked fresh scones before going to bed. We enjoyed these with a variety of home-made jams, then packed a lunch and some water before setting off for Abel Tasman National Park where Doug was taking us on a hike up the coastal track.

An hour and a half later we were hiking north on a well maintained path. After a show by a very friendly little Fantail we stopped by a small beach where Ferdi and Doug ventured through some thigh high water to take pictures of an interesting rock pinnacle and some beautiful driftwood.

Our next stop was Apple Bay, 5.5km up the trail. We sat under a tree and had a beautiful lunch of left-over roast veggies with spiced olive oil. Doug spotted a Stingray cruising up to the beach and Ferdi ran in to try and get a picture. This one wasn't as big as the previous one, but had a tail, so Ferdi didn't get too close. Consequently he couldn't get much of a picture, but it was cool to see another ray nonetheless.

We walked up the beach and then got back on the trail, heading south. We covered the 5.5km back to the car in just over an hour and took a different route home. We showered and then booked our ferry tickets to the north island.

Doug's cousin Tessa had arrived in Nelson, so they went to pick her up and get some pizza for dinner. We stayed home and had some whiskey, and when they arrived back we had a feast of pizza, wine, whiskey and chocolate.

Today's highlights:
1. Beautiful hike in Abel Tasman NP.
2. Lunch on the beach.
3. Another ray.
4. Festive pizza dinner.

Tuesday, March 16th


After printing and mailing some pictures for our friends in Karamea, Doug took us for another hike, this time up a valley in the Richmond Hills to Whispering Falls. We covered the 4km to the falls at a slow pace, enjoying the hike and trying to spot some birds.

After reaching the falls we headed up a little hill to a picnic spot where we had another delicious snack lunch. While some of us lay on the grass the others explored a bit of the jungle behind the picnic area. It was magical back there and in any other jungle we'd have been very concerned about snakes. Luckily there are no such things in NZ, so we could concentrate on enjoying our lush surroundings. All too soon we were heading back to the car. Doug and Tessa took a swim in the river by the car park, but could not entice us to join them. It was just a little too cold. Back home we showered, then Talita baked some oats cookies.

We enjoyed another evening of feasting with the Nicholson's. Doug and Karen are exceptional hosts and spoiled us absolutely rotten again! They served delicious home-made coffee liqueur followed by salad, risotto, peach tart, and a home-made lemon-cello (a delicious and strong vodka and lemon drink).

Today's highlights:
1. Picnic above Whispering Falls.
2. Feasting with the Nicholson's.

Thought for the day:
The less money we have the less we worry about it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



21st March 2010

You are truly blessed with some fantasic friends. Not to mention the adventures, food and great pics!

Tot: 0.487s; Tpl: 0.092s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb