Day 415-417: Brightwater to Wellington, New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
March 19th 2010
Published: March 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Brightwater to Wellington


Wednesday, March 17th


At 10am we said goodbye to Doug and Karen. They'd treated us like family and made us promise to visit the next time we're in the area. We thoroughly enjoyed being in their home, spending time with them and felt very lucky to have met them.

Before leaving Nelson we went to say hi to Wendy, John and Margaret's daughter whom we'd met in Karamea. Two weeks ago she'd gotten a couple of kittens and we had a blast playing with the boys while we enjoyed a cuppa and a chat.

We left Nelson at 11am and reached Picton just after 1pm. We checked in at the ferry, found a seat in the video lounge and left the south island at 2pm. We'd come to love the place and thought we'd be sad to leave it behind, but we know that we'll return one day, so it's not goodbye for ever. Besides, there's a ton more adventures awaiting us on the north island.

Halfway through the movie the ferry exited the sounds and we found ourselves in very rough water on the Cook Strait. The ferry was being tossed around and soon we were feeling nauseous. To help combat the sea-sickness we went to sit outside where we could see the horizon and have some fresh air. For some reason we never seem to have enough warm clothing on any of the ferry trips we've been on. There was an icy wind howling outside so we found a spot where we could get out of the main gusts, but we still ended up nearly frozen.

After a while we started to feel a little less sick and were fascinated by how the big swells would lift the ferry high up and then drop it down. The swells must've been many meters high and it was like being on a slow motion rollercoaster.

With the rough seas and the wind the trip took almost an hour longer than usual, but at least we arrived in Wellington without being sick. We were very glad to be off the ferry. It was a very unpleasant trip.

We drove to Clive and Lize's place and were surprised by the icy wind that greeted us. Every time we're in Wellington it's freezing. We're starting to think it's us. At least Luki gave us a warm greeting, nearly
Peek-a-BooPeek-a-BooPeek-a-Boo

These naughty kitties climb curtains & couches when Wendy's not looking
jumping into our arms when we opened the door. We made some tea to warm us up and when Clive arrived home Talita cooked dinner. Lize had a surprise meeting at work, so she only arrived after 10pm. It was great to be visiting them again!

Today's highlights:
1. Playing with Ben and Georgie, Wendy's little kittens.
2. Getting over the Cook Strait without throwing up.
3. Hanging with Clive, Lize and Luki again.

Thursday, March 18th


Another cold and windy day dawned in Wellington. We got an email from Doug; after we left yesterday he took Tessa to Cable Bay for a kayak trip and a couple of Orca came right up to their kayaks! We were absolute gutted! We would’ve looooooved to see these amazing creatures up close! He said that one came to within 4ft (1.2m) of his kayak! Oh how we wished we were there!

Anyway, we'd decided to go for broke (we hope not literally) and try to extend our stay in NZ to the maximum of 12 months. Earlier we had thought to return home when our visas expired in April, but we realized that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us and we should make the most of it.

We had a few other things we needed to do so we drove into the city and managed to find a parking spot. At immigration we got the forms only to realize that we had no ID photos or bank statements. You'd think we'd know what we needed by know, but apparently not. Our next order of business was a visit to the AA to try and get Talita's expired SA drivers license converted to a NZ one. They could do it, provided the license wasn't more than a year expired and we could supply proof of address. Unfortunately "1 Boesman Ave" wouldn't cut it. At least we knew that it could be done.

Next we visited a jeweler and got some silver cleaning liquid for Talita's tarnished necklace and ear-rings. After that we drove around trying to find a craft-shop. We couldn't find it so we got some groceries, then visited a hardware store where we got marine varnish and painting supplies to finish Birdsy off.

Back home we enjoyed a few Scrubs episodes before starting to cook dinner. When Lize and Clive arrived home we had crackers and cheese for starters, then served a very successful veggie cottage pie for mains. Then Lize sprang into action and made a monster of a dessert with ice-cream, Easter eggs and melted chocolate on strawberries. Mmmm... She's not doing us any favors.

Today's highlights:
1. Scrubs episodes.
2. Great dinner and dessert.

Friday, March 19th


We slept till well after 9am. The late nights must be catching up with us. The weather had warmed up considerably and with the absence of the freezing wing it was actually pleasant to be outside.

After breakfast we drove into the city once more in order to submit our visa extension application. While Ferdi searched for a parking spot Talita printed our photos and bank statement. When we arrived at immigration they said that if we took a number and waited we could see a consultant today and have our application processed on the spot. We were very surprised. None of the other branches had this facility the last time we applied. Eager to get this done we took a number and waited.

We waited for an hour and a half because just as it got to be our turn the consultant dealing with visitors permits went to lunch so we got put in at the end of another row. We didn't mind too much because once we saw the consultant it took a mere 10 minutes before we walked out with our permits approved! Amazing! We're now able to stay in NZ until 20 July.

With another four months in NZ ahead of us, we drove to a craft shop we were told about and Talita got some string and clasps to weave a nice new necklace for her Greenstone pendant.

Back home we watched a few Scrubs episodes. Lize and Clive were going away for the weekend and we were more than happy to house sit for them. When they got home they quickly packed and headed out. We cooked dinner, opened a beer and watched a bunch more Scrubs. We love that series!

Today's highlights:
1. Getting our visas approved.
2. Scrubs marathon.

Thought for the day:
Trying to live even one day without God is emotional suicide.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



21st March 2010

So glad you are here for longer! Let us know if you need a "home" address. Karen

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb