Ferry to Nelson and Singing in the Rain!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Nelson
January 21st 2008
Published: February 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

16 bed dorm at River valley!16 bed dorm at River valley!16 bed dorm at River valley!

Forgot to post photos of it. We thought it was hilarious when we got there... all sleeping side by side. Strange...
On Monday, Jan 21st, we went from Wellington to Nelson. Wellington is on the North Island, while Nelson is on the South... so we took a 3 hour ferry ride on the Interislander Ferry. The ferry was really beautiful, lots to see, so we took many pictures. The ferry goes right through the Marlborough Sounds which are absolutely stunning. Once we were off the ferry in Picton, we loaded another KIWI bus on the other side and headed through to Nelson. On the way to Nelson we stopped at a nice winery and did a wine tasting. Yum!

On the bus, as always, we arranged our activities in Nelson. Nelson is the "gateway", if you will, to the Abel Tasman National Park. We decided to do a full day in the park with a boat ride, hike, and visit to one of the top 10 beaches in the world! (as rated by a UK magazine, I believe). Sadly, when we called that evening to confirm our trip with Katikiteri Kayaks, they told us that there was a weather advisory and that we should call in the morning to see if it would still run. When we woke up in the morning, it was raining SIDEWAYS, and there was no way the trip was running.

The funny thing about this is that Nelson gets more sunshine than anywhere else in New Zealand. So here we were in "sunny Nelson", staying an extra day to do this trip, and we were stuck in a cyclone.

So... we went shopping and saw a movie. Holly bought a raincoat and rain covers for her backpack. I think it has maybe rained once since then!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb