Westport and Lake Mahinapua


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Mahinapuha
January 23rd 2008
Published: February 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On the 23rd we left Nelson for Westport. Westport was basically just an overnight stop for us on the way to Lake Mahinapua, another overnight stop. On the way to Westport we stopped for a lunch stop/walk in the Nelson Lakes National park. It was SOOOO beautiful. A lake surrounded by mountains. We took some gorgeous pictures, and some really silly ones too.

The real part of this story is Lake Mahinapua. On the way there from Westport we picked up some new people who had come across from Christchurch. In Greymouth we picked up one more passenger who had arrived by train and went to "The Warehouse" which is somewhat like Costco, to get "bin bags" (garbage bags) in which we were to dress in costume for the evening at the Lake Mahinapua "poo pub" party. There were 3 prizes to be won for best costumes: a canyon swing, and two river surfing trips all based out of Queenstown (the adventure capital of NZ).

There were 6 of us in a dorm together at Lake Mahinapua. Holly and myself, and our new friends from the UK. The 3 boys dressed as the "sex kittens" cheerleading squad, Holly as Miss America, Amy as a kitten, and myself as........(drum roll please!)..... a TEAM CANADA basketball player. Since this is a little difficult to imagine, I will post some photos. Worth noting also were a pair of penguins who were quite entertaining throughout the evening! At this point we had "Buzz" as our driver guide... his costume was pretty impressive too. The next morning, Buzz made the announcement on the bus of who had won the costume prizes.

He listed them off as.... the penguins, wonder woman and TEAM CANADA! woohoo!

The penguins had to decide between them which would get the prize in queenstown (since there were 2 of them) and they were not too worried about which they would end up with. Wonderwoman and I flipped a coin to see who would get the Canyon Swing (worth $160!) and again, I won!! So... you'll just have to wait in anticipation for the photos and the video from the Shotover Canyon Swing in Queenstown, but I'll give you a taste of the action: 60 m freefall, swing down to 110m, speed of 150kmh, full body harness.... it's gonna be good!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb