Milford Sound and Queenstown revisited


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
March 7th 2011
Published: March 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Edited to add: video at Milford Sound airport

We got up really early and headed out to get the bus for Milford Sound. The trip itself is pretty long, about 4 hours. We stopped off at Te Anau and this is where we would be staying for one night when the bus came back from Milford Sound (or so we thought).

When we got to Milford Sound, the weather was spectacular. The water was as flat as a pancake and the ship that we would be getting on looked amazing. 3 decks and loads of space for you to wonder about and look at everything that was on offer.

There were various waterfalls, some seals and a close encounter with a waterfall where we all got a bit wet. The photos hopefully do the place some justice. It is a magical place.

Speaking of magic, Toby and I then decided that maybe we should go back to Queenstown. We had had a great time there and we had made some good friends so we called the Magic Bus up and was able to change our trip so that we could go back to Queenstown for 3 nights.

Toby then suggested, instead of getting the 4 hour bus back - why don't we fly back ! Great idea. As I have been trying to do on all parts of this holiday - I am trying to say yes to everything and this was no exception. Here is a video explaining what we were going to do - here

I am so glad we did it. The views of the Southern Alps mountain range were fantastic and Ray (our pilot) got us really up close and personal with glaciers. It is probably the best thing I have done since the wedding back in Waiheke. I loved it.

When we got back to the YHA, they checked us in, however moments later there were some French people making themselves comfy in our beds. So we headed back down to get it sorted. YHA said, oops sorry, our fault and upgraded us for free into a twin room.

Bonus !!

Proper result that. So now we are back in Queenstown for 3 nights. Then continue the trip round. Queenstown sucks you in. if you come over here and you have a head for adrenalin sports or activities, book longer than 3 nights. You'll need it !!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 88, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0979s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb