Cruising on the Milford Sound


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
September 14th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 527 (6.9.08)

Over night the morning mist had set in making our brekie and prep for our Milford Sound day a little more sombre than it would have been otherwise and as we left it continued to linger for the first 30 mins of the drive. That was until we rounded a bend to find the mist lifted and one of the most spectacular sights of our NZ trip so far. The sun was out and the ground was covered in frost all the way along the valley and up the snow clad mountains in the distance - wow!

We took in the view for a while we drove on before stopping at the Mirror Lakes, roadside tarns famed for their crystal clear reflections. We were yet again treated. With a still morning so the only ripples on the lake being caused were by the local bird life there was fantastic reflection of the mountains. The thing that amused us most here though was the sign for the lake had been placed on the opposite bank and written as a mirror image meaning that you could only read the reflection!

Arriving a little early at Milford Sound, we stopped for another quick cuppa, before walking around to the dock where we were to pick up the boat for our cruise of the Sound. Luckily enough with our rental vans, we had also received a ‘buy one get one free’ voucher for the Cruize Milford company and took full advantage of the offer - cheers Jucy!

Boarding our boat and stocking up on the free coffee onboard we went on deck to get some good spots for the journey. With a crystal clear day we couldn’t have hoped for more - it was stunning! The first waterfall which is just past the entrance of the dock (Bowen Falls) was in full flow down its 1m track with the residual spray climbing from the rocks it was crashing onto, the semi permanent (only flowing after recent rain) were also stunning with skipper taking us right into the rocks to see the amazing rainbow (or waterfall-bow) that it created. Reaching the Tasman Sea we returned via the other permanent fall Sterling Falls, where we also got to feel the spray from the water crashing in from a massive 155m height.

Back to dry land having thoroughly enjoyed our trip on the water we stopped for some refreshments before going along the Foreshore Walk to get our last glimpses of the Milford Sound - stunning!

It was time to start wending our way home; however there was plenty to see on our way back as well. Our first stop was at the Chasm on the Cleddau River. It’s a sort return walk, but it is well worth the effort. At the end loop is a fantastic gorge carved out from the rock by the river with the current flow of water cascading through strange rock formations. It’s hard to explain but if you are there go and see it!

A quick stop at the Hollyford Lookout giving views over the wooded valley below and we carried onto the Gunn Lake Nature walk. This came as a bit of a surprise. As you go deeper into the forest the trees, rocks, tree stumps - well everything really - is completely covered by moss. It looks very much like it is something straight out of a children’s fairy tale and you are about to stumble on an evil witches den!

Surviving the walk we had one last stop at the Mirror Lakes before hightailing it home for a feast and falling into bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb