Dogging


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
March 3rd 2008
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 160 - Wednesday 27 February

I was woken up by the most annoying bloke i've ever met travelling. His names Frank and hes from Holland and I was unfortunate to have been sharing a dorm with him. If anybody reading my blog happens to share a dorm in New Zealand with a bloke called Frank from Holland can you please beat him up for me.

Last night in the bar i'd been talking to probably the fittest bird in the place who happened to be from Warrington and regulary wernt out in Preston, when he strolled over interupting our conversation and started talking to me. Naturally she saw it as a cue to leave and my chance was gone. This morning he got up at 7am and spent 1 hour 20 mins packing for his day trip. Everything he owned was in a seperate plastic carrier bag and the rustling nearly made me insane. Why didn't he pack last night and who the hell spends over an hour packing for a day trip. He even left the door wide open so the daylight streamed in and you could hear everybody talking outside.

After checking out of the hostel we drove over to Milford Sound. The scenery is absolutely amazing with so many waterfalls flowing down the hillsides. It rains almost every day here but the scenery more than makes up for it.

After stopping off and doing a few walks, we parked the car up for the night. Tonight were going to sleep in it which should hopeully save us some bucks and mean we can get an early cruise over the lake tomorrow when its much quieter before the day trippers arrive. We'd parked in a quiet spot and were in the middle of watching Star Wars on our dvd player when there was a loud thump on our roof and a loud shriek. I almost shit myself but it turned out to be a huge parrot like bird. Relieved we went back to watching the movie.

Unfortunately we didn't see anybody out dogging so went to sleep hoping theres no mass murders in the area.

Day 161 - Thursday 28 February

I've survived the night and ended up having a quite a good sleep, so we took the short drive to the ferries and just before nine we boarded the ferry that would cruise us around the sound for the next 2 hours. Because i'm travelling for a year and have seen so many spectacular views already i've been a little spoiled. Most people would probably think the cruise is really good as you do see all these waterfalls running down the mountains, and seals swimming in the waters but I took it all with a pinch of salt. It was really cold there even with my coat on so I actually spent most of the trip sheltering inside the ferry rather than on deck. But even so with stunning views i'd recommend it.

Once we had finished the cruise we started the 6 hour drive up to Lake Wanaka. Unfortunately the batteries on the ipod have run out and the only radio station we could pick up in the hills was broadcasting power ballads. Russ was singing along the whole journey and I can tell you he's as bad a singer as I am. It was a relief to finally arrive.

Wanaka is only a small town so it didn't take long to explore but as i'm not going out I watched a bit of tv in the hostel instead.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb