Day 11 - gah!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
November 14th 2006
Published: November 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

stupid blog... i logged me out after before i could save my eltry! now i have to type it all over again.

i took the day to visit milford sound (which is actually a fjord.. not a sound). unfortunately, the bus i took had already taken on passengers from queenstown -- about 2.5 hours up the road. luckily, i managed to score a window seat. unluckily, it was next to a peculiar young mand who had a 6month old scraggly beard and greasy long hair. at least he respected each others' personal space...

the drive up was about 2.5 hours. our bus driver was full of little facts and trivia, which helped pass the time. we passed through hollyford valley on the way up, which is on the east side of the divide (the divide is the boundrey where water flows east or west). for you movie buffs, hollyford resembles rivendale, home of the elves in lord of the rings. we had about 5inches (yes, 5 inches) of rain the night before, so the whole valley was full of little waterfalls.

we pulled into milford sound at about 1pm, and set off on the newest catamaran in the fleet. it was cold and choppy during the first half of the cruise, but once we hit the tasman sea, the weather suddenly cleared up. the return to the harbour was spectacular! i'm so glad i decided to take the cruise instead of going kayaking, since i got out much farther that the near bay.

i got home at around 5pm, where i was supposed to meet deja at the hotel. a little surprise awaited me. when i walked up to our room, i noticed that our window was wide open and the door was ajar. when i got inside, i saw the beds were upturned. "could they be cleaning our room?", i thought. as i looked around i noticed a few of our small grocery bags were strewn across the floor. now, given that i was groggy from a long bus ride, it took me a while to register that our room could have been broken in to. by the time i came to my senses, deja jumped out from behind the curtains, laughing. had he waited 30 seconds longer, i might have actually panicked...

after kevin got back from his cruise out to doutful sound (also a fjord), we picked up some dinner. i decided to try some "irvine" pies, which i had been craving since i saw them here. the chicken vegetable was okay, but stay away from the steak and potato.



Advertisement



16th November 2006

that's hilarious! Deja is my hero! That's a trick I need to store in my little brain. It sounds like you guys might as well have night jobs as tourist guides there from all the driving you're doing! Sounds like you're having fun though. Did you take lots of pics of the hobbit homeland?

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb