Day 12 - mt cook, ho!


Advertisement
Published: November 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

we left te anau for twizel, a small mountain town near the base of mount cook. the town doesn't have much to offer, other than being an affordable stop. we had changed our plan to just the one day at mount cook, to buy some time before our flight out on the 18th.

the drive up to the mountain only took about 40min. it's kind of strange. it's a completely flat plain leading up to the range, and then the mountains come up out of nowhere. luckily for us it was a clear and sunny day. we were even able to see the peak. the visitor centre was closed by the time we got there, so we choose a short 2hr hike that would let us get back to twizel by 8pm -- time enough to cook dinner and do some laundry.

we headed up the "red tarns" trail, which was a 1000+ stair climb up the mountain side. the views were spectacular, but clearly indicate that i need to work out more when i get home.

we also passed by "hooker valley" on the way out. yes, we had a good laugh at the name, too...

i have to make this quick , since the timer is running out. but i thought i'd mention that my junk food of the day was "burger rings". they're like cheezy poufs, but with the hint of beef flavour. very salty, and not really to my liking...

oh, and speaking of burgers... they have the odd habit of adding beets to their burgers here. and eggs. the eggs i like. the beets... well, not so much...



Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb