Vineyards & Green Lips


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Marlborough » Pelorus Sounds
October 20th 2011
Published: October 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

SunsetSunsetSunset

On the road to Blenheim
Arrived at the Copthorne Millenium Hotel where we were basing ourselves for the next two nights.
Managed to sneak into the restaurant before it closed and a couple of rib-eyes were washed down with a very nice local Pinot Noir.
The next morning saw us taking the hire car back to the airport in Blenheim where we'd arranged to meet our driver for the day - George also known as 'Aussie'
Two other people joined us in the mini bus and we immediatley headed for the Cloudy Bay vineyard. A very good tasting of 7 of their finest wines (no spitting out I can assure you!).
Next stop a small family run vineyard called Bladen. Excellent tasting of 5 wines (still no spitting) and I purchased an excellent bottle of the botrytis desert wine (or 'sticky' as it's known here - bizarre!).
Another vineyard next - Wairu River and yet more 'tastings' (can't remember how many!) but I bought a bottle of their excellent Rose - only available from the 'cellar door'.
Then, leaving the vineyards behind, we drove to a place called Havelock at the head of Pelorus sound. An excellent lunch (accompanied by a very good Sauvignon Blanc -
Pelorus SoundPelorus SoundPelorus Sound

On the way to the mussel farm
hic!) and then aboard a very large boat for the cruise to the Mussel farms. The boat could take 90+ and there were 7 of us so plenty of room.
This time the water was like a mill pond and the weather excellent. We got to the farm and then were served a fresh bowl of large green lipped mussels which were beautiful (the wine which came with them was also very good).
A quiet nap on the deck in the sunshine as we made our way back rounded of an excellent day.
Tomorrow we fly back to Auckland for the last time. We'll be watching the Aussies versus Wales for the bronze medal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Mussel BoatMussel Boat
Mussel Boat

Taking back tonnes of mussels


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb