Just a perfect day (in the end)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Greymouth
October 20th 2011
Published: October 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mount CookMount CookMount Cook

Scenic Flight from Greymouth
Up early (again) as we were being picked up from the Motel at 7:30 and being taken to the Railway station for a 8:15 departure.
The trip was advertised as one of the great railway journeys of the world passing through the Southern Alps of New Zealand with breathtaking scenery. Guess what...
It was bucketing it down. The rain was absolutely pouring down from a low leaden sky and you couldn't see a bloody thing!!
The train left on time, stopped after 30 seconds, waited for 5 minutes, and then reversed back to the platform. It was going to be one of those days. Apparently there was a "clunking noise" (technical term). Not to worry we left (again) 5 minutes later and we were off. Good job I brought the Sudoku book!
I can only imagine that the journey was spectacular as we couldn't see a thing but as we came over the pass to the other side things started to brighten up. In the distance the west coast of the island was definitley looking better so the last 3rd of the journey was much more interesting.
The weather looked so much better that George called a scenic flight company to
Southern AlpsSouthern AlpsSouthern Alps

Coastline and mountains
see if they flew from Greymouth. They did!! and whats more they could take us that very afternoon. Brilliant! At last a lucky break with the weather.
We picked up the hire car from the station and raced to the airport to be greeted by a Cessna just landing. The pilot (Samuel) stepped out and after refuelling we climbed in. I initially plonked myself in the pilots seat much to George's consternation but then seated myself correctly (much to Georges relief) We took off and steadily climbed to 9,000 feet flying south and heading for Mount Cook. We were in the air for well over an hour and a half and flew all the way round Mount Cook (12,000 feet - we had climbed to over 13,000 feet at this point) the weather was perfect and my camera battery went flat with all the photos of the mountain and glaciers. It was a truly memorable experience.
We landed back in Greymouth, thanked Samuel and then head north (stopping briefly for Fish & Chips - pronounced Fush & Chups here in NZ).
First stop was the pancake rocks and blowholes at PunaKaiki. Brilliant with the tide right in. Then carried on
Our pilotOur pilotOur pilot

just landed
north to Westport and a seal colony before turning east and driving the 3 and a half hours to Blenheim.
George had driven up to that point so it was my turn but I've never enjoyed driving as much before as we drove through the most spectacular scenery you could imagine.
We arrived in Blenheim tired but elated. Next day was Wine & Green Lipped mussels. Bon Nuit!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

PunakaikiPunakaiki
Punakaiki

Blow holes and pancake rocks


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb