Free Willy!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
April 16th 2006
Published: April 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we got up early at 7 as we had to be down at the 'whaleway' station ready to check in for our sperm whale experience!!
We started off by heading 7 miles off shore til we found our first 18m Sperm whale..Tiaki!! They only come up for about 10minutes every hour for a quick bit of air so we had to be quick. He floated there quite happily in front of us and a few other boats as we all took plent of pics before giving us a huge wave goodbye as he went back under for more food! Apparently they eat more than a tonne of fish a day including different types of sharks and loads of other fish and the odd few human if you get in there way!
We then went on to spot 2 more huge whales called Big Nic & little Nic! After that we headed back to the harbour but not before stopping to see the most beautiful dolphins..'dusky dolphins'. They swerved in and out of the boat playing and doing somersaults for us! It was so hard to capture this on camera as there were more than 200 of them, its was incredible, me and sean couldn't believe how many there was it was just breathtaking!
Back on land we decided to treat ourselves to some yummy Fish & chips!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb