Show me the way to...Omaruuuuuuuuuuu!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
April 17th 2006
Published: April 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We left Kaikoura this morning for our long long drive down to Omaru! We left the campsite at 6am and everything was sooo peaceful. As we headed around the bay we spotted some seals on the rocks, Sean quickly stopped the van and we jumped out to see them. It was amazing they were so close to us and there was no one else around and the sun was just starting to rise!
We finally arrived there at 2 and checked into the only campsite there! We only planned to stay here one night and the main attraction was the very rare yellow eyed penguins, so we headed straight down to the beach to try spot them! We only managed to see a couple and some were really far away apart from one little one posing for the cameras!

18/04/06~ Headed off down to Dunedin today, was a nice easy drive compared to yesterday! We took a drive to Balwin Street which apparently is the steepest street in the world and in the guiness book of records..really really steep and yep Sean made me climb the thing!

19/04/06~Drove down to the otago peninsula and drove through some pretty amazing scenery...saw loads of the royal albatross, penguins and seals! The water was crystal clear but way too cold for swimming! We stopped at the top and had lunch looking over the whole of Dunedin!!!!
In the evening we made some toast, well tried as halfway through the toaster stopped working, at first we thought it'd packed up until we realised nothing was working! We tried another power site..still nothing!! Just great, we had no heater once again! Sean had a fiddle with everything but no luck...so we decided to ask the guy that ran the site. He came over with his tools and torch..there was nothing wrong with the box so it had to be our little van. As they both kept looking in cupboards for fuses and things...clever me looked in the 'user manual' instead...and sure enough all the answers were there. I'd just switched the fuse and all we had to do was turn it on again! Well at least we weren't going to have to freeze tonight (thanks to me).


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb