Kaikoura - hundreds of dolphins!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
February 13th 2008
Published: March 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well after saying our very sad goodbyes to Ernie, we went to catch the Ferry from Wellington to Picton in the South Island. The ferry trip wasn't very rough (apparently it can be! Am rather glad it was calm). Picton is in a great place - I wish we had had the time to explore the Abel Tasman National Park in the area - it looks lovely - all inlets, clear blue water, beaches etc... but we just had a few hours in Picton before our bus. Picton is rather small!!!

Eventually the time came to catch our bus! Through the Marlborough wine region - another place we must come back to for a few vineyard tours I think!!!! Sadly this time, we didn't have time for any wine tours - but we were able to spot quite a few well known labels!

After a somewhat crazy bus ride - our driver must have known the roads very well (or so we hoped) the way they were taking all the corners - we eventually arrived in Kaikoura - a small town on the east coast. The next morning we got up early to go our on Dolphin watching tour. The tour was amazing!!! We saw several hundred dolphins. The boat people said that it was a really good morning! Dolphins are great! They were leaping all over the place and they were surfing the front of the boat - so we got a great view of that. They are completely wild and aren't coerced to come near the boat with food or anything...

We then spent some relaxation time in Kaikoura - went on a walk along the coast a bit and saw lots of Fur Seals - big fellas they are too! Had a lovely relaxing time...




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

fur sealfur seal
fur seal

This guy was really close to the path!


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0936s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb