Sweetcorn Season in New Zealand...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Paraparaumu
February 7th 2008
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, at pretty much the last minute, we decided to go to New Zealand. Its been a hard time over the last 6 months and thought that a really nice break would be good for us! My Dad had been planning to come to Australia to visit my sister and I for his 80 birthday but he never got the chance. He was also plannning on going to New Zealand to visit a friend, Ernie, that he hadn't seen for 40-odd years who emigrated to New Zealand. So Cam and I decided that we wanted to visit Ernie as part of our trip..

So off we went to Wellington and headed up to Ernie's early the next morning... to the seaside town of Paraparaumu (para-param to pronounce) - everything on the North Island is next to impossible to pronounce!!!

Ernie met us at the station... although we saw this chappie wandering over and neither of us were sure if he was Ernie as we'd never seen a picture! 😊 It was!

We went round the sights of Paraparaumu.... its a beautiful location by the beach about an hour north of Wellington. We spent most of the time relaxing and chatting. Cam and I also went on a little horse ride and I think I was given the biggest horse ever to walk this earth.

On a seperate note, I think we got Ernie addicted to Corn on the Cob 😊

Ernie does woodturning and is very good and he let us make a bowl from a lump of wood! Cam got extremely into it - he'd be out in the garage for hours! Although we now have a very lovely bowl and made from the wood from a cherry tree that used to be in Ernie's garden. We then turned our hands to making a pen! All very impressive stuff.

It was an absolute pleasure and a joy to spend time with Ernie and a wonderful start to our trip to New Zealand.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The block of wood after!!The block of wood after!!
The block of wood after!!

Impressive, huh?!?
Ernie and Lucy on beachErnie and Lucy on beach
Ernie and Lucy on beach

Cam was practicing his people photography using Ernie's digital SLR.


5th March 2008

Bowly bowl
I am WELL impressed with that bowl :)

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 81; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb