Christchurch to Haast


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Haast Pass
February 27th 2008
Published: February 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Christchurch to Haast Feb 20 - Feb 26 http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/5373484260-1204085657-48715/53734 Cut and Paste this for Pictures

The last entry had us eagerly waiting to see the Yellow eyed Penquins waddle up the beach in Oamaru. They offered a $69 each tour to see the Blue Penquins do the waddle but we opted to see the free guys. We drove out to the Bushy Beach, hoofed to a view point (at least 100 feet from the beach) and all gaped at 3 little penquins that had done the waddle a few hours earlier and were just sitting and preening. A little underwhelming!!

Drove a short day and arrived in Dunedin. Another perfect little Scottish town complete with Castle. Ross and Bonnie did a train ride for the afternoon and Larry and I toured Cadburys plant (still don’t know how they get the caramel in the centre!!) and then went off and toured an old house. It actually was a very cool old house. A huge mansion buildt in 1904 with 35 rooms. It was buildt by a man and his wife. They had a boy and a girl, Dorothy. Dorothy lived in the house her whole life until 1966. They left the house to the City that now runs tours. It was a spectacular old mansion. The next morning we met Val-Mae and did a 2 hour walking tour of Dunedin. She was passionate about her city and sure didn’t like progress. Things should just stay the same!! Lots of beautiful old buildings and history.

Toured New Zealand’s only castle in Dunedin. It was huge and very nice. It was built in 1850 and then boughten by a couple in 1967 and restored for prosperity. The views were spectacular from the turrets.

Dunedin is on the East Coast of NZ and from there we are making our way over to the West Coast. It is beautiful scenery. Very similar to BC. Through canyons, gorges and then up and over the mountain passes and down the other side.

In Dunedin, we also drove a very long and windy road to the Albatrosse Centre. Paid our $$ and hiked up a huge hill to see the Albatrosses. There were adults and young. The young are sat on until they are I think, about 9 months old. It is quite funny seeing a mom or dad Albatross trying to keep this getting quite large baby bird under themselves for protection. We could see baby trying to push his way out from under to see the outside world. Mom would give him a head butt and push him back under. This is mostly to protect them from predators because they can’t fly yet.

We have arrived on the West Coast today in Haast. We will take a couple of days to drive North on the West Coast and then take the ferry back to the North Island on Saturday.

On the home front - Had a nice chat with Mark using Skype. It is difficult to connect. The internet is bad most places and then the time difference is awkward. Right now in NZ it is Tuesday at about 3:30PM but in Vancouver it is Monday at 6:37PM. Usually we are still out and about when it is appropriate time to phone home and like today no internet connection for Skype.

Mark and Carli had a week at Silverstar skiing. Check out the great pix. Mark is bound and determined that Isabelle is going to like to ski. For her sake, I hope she does. Mark left on Sunday for a week at Mount Tremblanc, in Quebec. He was chosen last year to be a National downhill ski coach for Special Olympics. This was all planned long before he became a partner at Kren Plastics. They are very busy and I know he is feeling like he should not be away but he is a committed volunteer. I hope his athletes do well but more importantly they all have fun. In the past, he has commented on how he gets goose bumps watching his guys ski their guts out and come down the hill beaming from ear to ear.

I will send just one pix of Brayden. He seems to get a little left out because he is not quite so active as Isabelle.

Clayton spent last Friday night sitting in Queens Park from 7:30PM until 4:30AM when Carli’s sister spelled him off to register Isabelle for Pre School. Can you imagine. She is just 2. Mark was at Silverstar and appreciated Clayton doing this for them but he said at 4AM his phone beeped to say he had a text. It was to the point from Clay -
I HATE YOU!!

Awe, brotherly love. More later.

Just back from a fish and chip dinner at Jackson Bay. A funny little trailer called the Cray Pot. Good food but horrible black, bitey flies. We ate inside this little trailer after sweeping the dead black flies off the table!!

Love Nancy and Larry


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb