Picton - Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 20th 2008
Published: February 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a 3 hour ferry ride, we got off the boat in Picton, NZ on the South Island. It was a beautiful small town right on the harbour. We stopped in Picton on the water and ate our packed lunch then carried on down the road for a couple of hours. This is Wine country so Larry was in his glory trying to decide which ones he wanted to see. We found a small motel then trekked off to drink ourselves around the Marlborough area of Wineries. Ross was the DD so that was great. The next morning we visitied that last 2 wineries on his list and then it was off to Christchurch. We passed through a gorgeous little touristy town of Kakoura. We might have spent the night there but it was overcast and a little drizzly so moved on. We did stop on the side of the road for a Cray fish lunch. It was very nice. Cray is similar to lobster. Not exactly sure what the difference is. We bought our Crayfish from a cooler for $49NZ ($40C) and they split it in half and barbequed it right there on the side of the road. The rain held off and it was fun. Check out the pix. Carried on down the road to Christchurch, where I am writing this from. Christchurch is very touristy and lovely. It is a very old city a little like England. Mind you, I have never been to England but I can imagine. We bought a Tram ride around the city where we could hop on and hop off. Stopped at the Botanic Gardens.

Also, did a trip to the Antarctic Center. It had an assimilation of weather. We donned extra heavy coats and went into a wind and chill chamber to experience -18 and wild winds. It was not much different then visiting Edmonton on some of those kinds of nights. Saw them feeding the penquins. They are the penquins that have been rescued. They either have broken wings, missing feet or some neurological damage done to them from have canned pop plastics things caught around their necks. It was very interesting. Saw how Scott Base is set up at the South Pole. It is about an 11 hours plane ride from Christchurch to the South Pole. Christchurch is where the US, Italy and NZ have their scientific centers setup for the Antartic.

Today, in Christchurch, Ross took off this morning for an all day train trip up and over the mountain to the other side of the South Island. He is into trains and didn’t mind going on his own. Bonnie, Larry and I drove out to Akoroa for the day. It was about an hour over a very steep and winding road but it was worth it. Beautiful little French town on the ocean. All kinds of little bays with little towns in them. Ate our picnic on the ocean side and did a Audio guide walk around the city. We just rented 1 player for $10 so I listened and passed on the points of interest. It seemed to work. There is only so much history a person really needs to hear. It was interesting though because it is part of the English common wealth but it really is a French community. It alls go back to 1700’s . . . . . . . . .

Bonnie and Larry have just left now to pick Ross up at the train from his trip then we are going out for dinner!! A real treat. We actually pulled clothes from the bottom of our suitcase and had to iron. As usual we have brought way too many clothes but whose to know.

Our lime green Jucy van is behaving nicely and we seemed to have found our niches in the vehicle. Bonnie navigates from the passenger seat. I sit behind the drive (which is on the right) but I can see straight ahead because the driver seat must be a little offside. Larry and Ross take turns driving and the other guy sits in the very back seat with their legs stretched out in front of them. Other then the getting in and out of the back seats it is very comfortable. Bonnie has to remember to open and close our sliding door because it is difficult to do it from our seats. All in all we are having a great time. We have been in Christchurch 3 nights and we have all loved it.

Tomorrow we move down the road to see the Penquins waddle up the beach at 7PM for free or the Blue Penquins who waddle up the beach at 9PM for $20 each!! Who knows!! Another adventure.

Cut and Paste this address for pix - http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/5373458907-1203485166-30526/53734


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0978s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb