New Zealand / Australia Trip


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Greymouth
February 20th 2012
Published: February 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

2/19/2012

Got an early start on today’s travels. On the west coast, we headed south for Tauranga Bay to take in the Seal Colony .. maori name kekeno …. Male seals 200 kgs, mature after 8 years, whereas females half this weight and mature in half the time. Seals are known to travel long distances to their rookeries i.e. South Australia and the Chatham Islands. Also took in the local light house at Cape Fowlwind which was named by Captain Cook in 1772. It was so named because of the treacherous conditions.



Next attraction was the Pancake Rocks at Punakaiki some 70 kms south of Westport. Enroute we encountered a superman. A Taiwanese national biking New Zealand and looking for love. Not happening so far. We offered to snap his pic and he was delighted. Note well … we estimated that his pack weighed 100 lbs and he was wearing solar ‘collectors’ to power up his technology. What a man !!!



Back to the Pancake Rocks … aptly named …. These limestone formations have evolved over 60+ million years, being thrust up by volcanic action and eroded over time by the surf. The
Tauranga BayTauranga BayTauranga Bay

Kekeno seals
DOC (Dept of Conservation) walkway to view these rocks has been well designed to enable easy tourist viewing (see pics).



On reaching Greymouth we did a side trip to Hokotika … the home of New Zealand greenstone (jade) …. Checked out the shops and rolled on promptly to the source of the greenstone … the Arahura River area.



As luck would have it we stumbled upon the ‘starting point’ of the renowned physical challenge feat, the Coast to Coast race held annually each February in the South Island. It commences near Hokotika and finishes in Christchurch …. Covering 243kms and is comprised of kayaking, cycling and running This year’s winner completed the course in 11.5 hours.

We tested the ocean water with our big toes, collected stones, built sandcastles in our minds and sped back to our hotel Revington in Greymouth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Tauranga BayTauranga Bay
Tauranga Bay

More seals
PunakaikiPunakaiki
Punakaiki

Road to Punakaiki
PunakaikiPunakaiki
Punakaiki

Limestone formations at Punakaiki
GreymouthGreymouth
Greymouth

One lane auto, rail bridge
GreymouthGreymouth
Greymouth

NZ Coast to Coast
GreymouthGreymouth
Greymouth

Start of Coast to Coast


20th February 2012

Wow!!
Sounds as though you are really on an active journey...lots of walking and hiking! Hope you are really enjoying the views and can bring back many memories and pictures! Trying to catch up on reading the blogs...have more fun...all is well in MS!!

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb