Adventure continues New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Greymouth
February 12th 2011
Published: February 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

HI
Sorry I have not posted sooner. Internet in NZ is a real challenge - or non existant.
Or shuts down when you don't want it to.
Anyhow - interesting drive to Christchurch two days ago - I drove most of the way. Due to some map difficulties and address problems - it took a couple hours to get to our hotel. It was lovely - very much Edwardian - including no internet. Nice restaurant.
Walked half an hour to Botanical gardens - I was NOT going to drive ! - gardens were lovely. Walked for several hours so felt I deserved a good meal and a few extra calories. W ehave starteda tradition of a sof wine in the evenings with a plate of cheese and crackers. lovely way to end the day.

then on the Greymouth over Arthur's Pass - through the mountains. very scenic. Did I mention most major highways are just two lane - with most bridges being just a single lane? Shoulders on the roads are typically about 12-24 inches - when they are open. Many shoulders are closed for repair from falling rocks, or debris. Ran into some very hungry Keas (native parrots) at the store/cafe in Arthur;s pass - will post pictures. Very smart curious birds.


Also some very strange people - there is a race yesterday and today - from Coast to Coast. A two day race yesterday and today - walking, running, biking and kayaking - sort of a triathalon- across the mountain range coast to coast - about 200 km.
Today the second race was a one day race - from coast to coast. I can't even imagine the fitness level of those people - even driving it seemed a challenge.
We meet two of those men at out B&B last night.
An almost perfect B&B - in the country close to town, ashort walk to the beach - quiet, sheep for company aloing with 5 cattle and lots of birds. A beautiful spot. But no internet until this morning.

Tonight I feel like we are living in a fairytale- we are staying at the BOOT. A fairtale cottage nestled in gardens and fruit trees and delightful birds - quiet - a a fridge fully stocked with local wines and ales !
We hvae cheese, and treats from their cafe, fresh flowers (roses that smell delightful) and wine. two fireaplces and lots of privacy.
Should be a good night

Off kayaking tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



14th February 2011

Glad you are enjoying New Zealand. It is a beautiful country. I felt like I was truly in nature all the time, because the population is small and the mountains and winding roads are big. Enjoy the weather. It has been very cold here in Ontario, although this week is to warm up to plus temperatures. I got the Travel Blog address from Gwen. Glad to read your comments as you go along. Mary Anne
15th April 2011
DSC01418

Our B&B
Bluegums Bed and Breakfast Sheep, cattle and ocean view tennis courts Internet only at house :(

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb