The 'Fox'


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Glaciers
October 24th 2007
Published: October 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Fox Glacier Fox Glacier Fox Glacier

Amazing!!!!!
Here we are in Queenstown now, can not believe that we are getting through this country so fast. I guess it is because the last time we were driving Oz and it seemed to take forever to get anywhere as it is so vast! The drive here was stunning, the scenery was as if it has been painted on.

Along our way we have visited the pancake rocks, which are strange rock formations that are flat like pancakes from erosion and weathering, blow holes throw water into the air during high tide! We arrived in high tide and high winds so could see it and get a bit wet in the process ha ha ha!

Then to one of the best things we have both seen yet....the glaciers! The Glaciers are something that i was really looking froward to seeing, its like all i did in geography came to life sad hey! We firstly went to the Franz Josef Glacier which is a staggering 13kms long! The day that we went it was a bit wet so the views cloudy but i think that added to the mood of it all......all that ice and rock wow! You can only
Mount Cook Mount Cook Mount Cook

at least we think it is!!!
get within 200m of the terminal (front of the glacier) but that is enough to get the sheer size and force of these things, just amazing! The walk across takes you through where the ice used to be and believe me that is some way, it is currently retreating. We crossed over streams of clear water over stepping stones which was quite fun until my shoe leaked a bit when a stone was slightly wobbly! ooppsssss.

The 'Fox' was next......this glacier is not as big but you can get within 80m of this baby! It was clear as a bell when we visited and the views were just breath taking. We could see it all making its way down the mountain into a jagged edge array of ice at the bottom. In some bits the ice is a kind of blue green colour then in other places it is full of the rocks that have fallen off around it! whilst we were there the ice was cracking in places making a loud noise like you would see on the discovery channel! As you can tell i am sure i was so impressed with the Glaciers!!!!

We have camped
Franz JozefFranz JozefFranz Jozef

The 13km monster was awe inspiring
a couple of times trying to save money, the night before last we camped at the Fox glacier town....all was well when we went to sleep then at about 3am there were gale force winds sweeping through the mountains, i thought the bloody glacier had dropped a bit off and it was heading for us the noises were that loud. We had luckily picked a great spot that was very sheltered from the elements, even though we had a tent full of tree bits and it had to be away wet which in fact is still wet in the pimp mobiles boot as it has chucked it down since we arrived here in Queenstown.

We have not really done a lot since we have got here as it is a very outdoor place the weather is not playing so we are a bit stuck! We are wanting to do the Milford track but at the moment parts of it are closed and people are getting helicopters to certain bits then walking bits....which obviously comes with a price tag! We will hopefully be able to participate in some activities in the coming days when the weather gets better!

Hope
The Pancake RocksThe Pancake RocksThe Pancake Rocks

Even the scientists are baffled about what causes these rock formations!
everybody is fine and well speak soon xxxxxx

PS does anybody know if the fox glacier is where fox glacier mints were thought of???????


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Fox Glacier Fox Glacier
Fox Glacier

baby glacier at 3km long, tiny......
The foxy ladyThe foxy lady
The foxy lady

Came across this rambling hiker along the way
Along the roadAlong the road
Along the road

These were some of the views along the road
New Zealand beautyNew Zealand beauty
New Zealand beauty

sheep against what looks like a painted background
The open roadThe open road
The open road

Snow capped mountain after mountain
Muchos Pictures!!Muchos Pictures!!
Muchos Pictures!!

We must have 100 pics like this, the drive from Fox Glacier to Queenstown was breathtaking


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0711s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb