You will be Jealous!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Glaciers
February 7th 2007
Published: February 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bling bling Bling bling Bling bling

Our car looks good in this light. This is a joint bridge for cars and trains. You have to give way to any trains coming!!
Guys guys guys, appologies for the lack of blogs recently but I've been a busy bunny. This one will have very few words but some amazing pictures!
Last week can only be described as amazing. I had a three day field trip where I got paid to tour the South Island, eating out every night and staying in some nice hotels, while learning some very interesting facts about the geology and geography of New Zealand.

Last weekend, Rj and I finally managed to get 4 days off together so we headed out on an ADVENTURE of a MASSIVE scale. We headed over to the West Coast to see the Alps and the Glaciers that they host. We got a helicpoter tour over both the Franz Joseph and Fox Glaciers and had a snow landing right at the top of the Franz Josef Glacier. The views were amazing and we got the front seats in the helicopter next to the pilot. We could feel every air parcel we went over! It was thrilling!

Not content at that, the next day we went on a full day hike across the Fox Glacier. It is one of the most active Glaiers in New Zealand and so it is ploughing into a rainforest at the bottom. We had to hike through the forest to get to the ice and then had about 3 or 4 hours on the ice. We climbed through ice caves, avoided crevassess and even mastered walking in Crampons. Because the day tour is more expensive than the half day tour offered, our group only had 7 people in it (the other tours were double) so our guide was able to tell us loads and loads of facts about the formations we walked through.

While on the west coast we also had some amazing scenery along the coast and lakes. We went on lots of walks and covered about 1200km in our four days! Not bad. We also had the chance to pan for gold...we found some!...and walk trhough caverns and caves that were home to glow worms! From Lake Matheson we also had some great views of Mount Cook and Mount Tasman.....it was just awesome! But enough talking, here are some pictures!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

DANGER!DANGER!
DANGER!

Sorry mum, we passed the point!
We had the best weatherWe had the best weather
We had the best weather

It had rained non-stop for 2 weeks before we arrived!
Pancake rocksPancake rocks
Pancake rocks

A rare geological phenomenon...


8th February 2007

Yep! I'm sooooooo jealous
Wonderful pictures. Not so sure about the bridge. How do you give way to oncoming trains? Reverse quickly? Love Mum

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb