A stroll on ice


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
February 16th 2007
Published: February 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Franz Joseph to Milford Sound


We arrived at the Helihike place on time and the weather today is absolutely superb so we are confident we will be going. At 9am we walked to the Helipad where we kitted up and were put into groups, Ruth and I were in a group with most of the old people which turned out to suck a bit but the experience was still one of the best ever.

I have been in a helicopter before but this was a little been daunting with all the cliffs and walls the pilots enjoyed getting so close too. The trip up took about seven minutes and was spectacular, we landed about three quarters up the Glacier and started strapping on our crampons soon after.

The group full of younger people were already gone when we arrived so we began our climb behind all the old Americans so it took a while to get going, walking on the ice was really quite easy, so it wasnt long till we were clambering ridges and climbing through ice caves.

There were ice waterfalls and crevases with rivers running through them and the weather remained perfect, it was amazing how quickly the time went by. At the level we were at the ice was pristine and for me it was amazing as I have rarely seen snow or ice before.

After 2 hours of excitement and pleasure it was time to fly back down and begin the 5 hr drive to Queenstown we arrived around 6pm and checked into our hotel which has really beautiful views of the lake. I had a wee problem with a petrol bowser and soaked myself so the car and i stank for a few hours there.

Queenstown is gorgeous but it is a total tourist hub, we sat by the harbour at an irish pub having a few beers and a beef and guinness pie before booking ourselves on to the jet boat ride for the next morning.

I also finally found a Maori spear for my weopons collection so I am happy to head back to the hotel for a goods night sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Out for a rideOut for a ride
Out for a ride

Ruth and Pete
Franz Joseph GlacierFranz Joseph Glacier
Franz Joseph Glacier

Crawling through an Ice Cave
From the airFrom the air
From the air

On the way down
On the road to QueenstownOn the road to Queenstown
On the road to Queenstown

Dramatic mountains


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb