Franz Josef Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
January 21st 2007
Published: January 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post


We arrived to Franz Josef to the welcoming treat of rain, it rains here 264 days of the year! Had a easy day recovering from the Poo pub party and drank tea and ate copious amounts of chocolate with our girly friends!

The next day was the hike on the glacier. It was a 6 hour trip which started with the task of suiting us up in boots, crampons, water prrof trousers and jackets, hats, socks, gloves etc! But miracles of miracles, it wasn't raining! Huirrah!

The hike starts with a lot of steps that have been carved into the ice to actually get up onto the glacier. I had imagined that once you were up there it would kind of be like a flatish area of ice but this was so far from the truth! It was a maze of valley and tunney and crevaces. Our guide was constantly carving out new routes for us and we had to cross crevaces and squeeze through tunnels. The views of the ice and the valley below were just spectacular. We were all aching a bit by the end of the day and celebrated with a yummy pizza and a few bevvies in the hostel bar!

We had also managed to burn our noses quite badly, whoops!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb