New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
December 18th 2010
Published: December 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

After the car pulled in and informed us that about 2klm down the road there was a one pump station we were off. We were very pleased to see that the one pump was diesel. At Papatowai point looking over the Tautuku peninsula, back on the 92 heading to Owaka, Balclucha and Milton. Now on the east coast road heading for Dunedin, a little piece of Scotland. We did need to find some where to stop but decided to head off further towards Christchurch and our final destination after we'd had a little stay in Dunedin. We decided we needed to stop some where to hook up to recharge the batteries and change the water etc. We found a lovely site further north at Waikouaiti near Cornish Head. We'd come off highway 1 and took the scenic route at Warrington, Omimi, Seacliff, Puketerak and finally Karitane. all very small home steads. We crossed the Waikouaiti river before finding a site close to the beach at Waikouaiti. This had been the longest days driving we've done so really glad we're to find some where nice.
Tuesday 23rd November: We had quite a lazy start and as we were so close to the beach again we took a morning stroll and watched some race horses on the beach. Leaving Waikouaiti town we stopped to meet some of the locals and have breakfast at a small but very friendly cafe. All the people we've met on the south island have been so friendly and helpful. The geographical landscape is much flatter with a straight road that go on for miles, so different to anything we've seen before. On our map there showed a place called Scarborough, so we had to stop and have a look. It was no more than a few houses leading to the beach. Back on the main road we came to Timaru. a town which displayed rather unusal art work along it's main street. We also visited a penguin rescue centre not far from the town. Once again heading for our final destination. We crossed the longest bridge over Rakaia river. The straight flat road seemed to go on for ever but once we came to Burham we came off the highway 1 and headed for Lincoln and the peninsula south of Christchurch. It was getting very late and we realised we needed to either find a park or park up off the road. We decided to drive to a camp site at Purau near Diamond Harbour. A long narrow cliff pass and late drive brought us to our destination to find the park was closed. So we parked near the Whakaraupo lake. The view was beautiful with no light polution, total darkness except for the stars. We were so tired it was just good to get some rest before we headed into Christchurch in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb