New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Te Anau
December 16th 2010
Published: December 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sorry, I've not been around for a few days. Have been to Melbourne with Michelle, my sister to stay with her friend Margot for two nights. Had a great time! But as it's the New Zealand trip I'm blogging I'd better get back over there! I'll try and get back to where I left off.
Sunday 21st November we left the scenic Milflord Sound and headed back to Te Anau to stay the night as it was getting late to travel too far. We met a young couple from Bakewell in Derbyshire who were living and working in Te Anau for a couple of years. They told us about the 'Pie Man', who as you might guess made pies, special delicious pies we were told. So we thought we'd give him a try. We stopped the night at a very good motor home site that also had rather smart wooden chalets. We also over looked the stunning lake.
Monday 22nd: Up and away and down hill with just three days left as we fly to Australia on Thursday, so we plan to be in Christchurch by Wednesday night. But for now we are heading south again this time to Invercargill on the south coast on route 94 and then picking up the highway 6 again. A long drive south and more miles on the clock. Some people we met persuaded us to tour through the Catlins. I think it might have been the couple we met in Milford Sound who told us about the 'Pie Man' who I might say makes exceeding good pies. So anyway I looked in my trusty N.Z. travel guide which said. ''The Catlins, natural curiosities and beauty make the south eastern corner of the south island a scenic treasure''. So we took the bait and started on a long a winding road. It was true to its word and when we saw a sign saying 'beach route' we couldn't resist it. Bad move! After about half a mile of narrow road we went onto a track road so after mile after mile of scenic wonder and a very bumpy road we began to realise we should try and get back to something a little more like a road. We were now down to three bars on the fuel gauge and although we weren't panicing we did think we should try and find a petrol station. We did get back on to a road but no sign of anything and we were climbing higher and higher when we reach a picnic pull in over looking the ocean, which was breathtakingly beautiful we decided to put the kettle on and then have a panic attack! As we sat contemplating what we'd do if we didn't find a petrol station a car pull in and we asked if they knew where one was.' A couple of kilometres down the hill from where we were parked', they said.' Great', we said, and decided to relax and enjoy the view.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb