New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
December 16th 2007
Published: December 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Christchurch to lovely blue skies giving us wonderful views over the Island. Tony and Aileen (Mim and Dave's friends) were kindness itself and made us feel one of the family. They live on a wetlands area which is very interesting particularly so when Ailseen gave me a guided tour. On the way she had a brief encounter with some council officials which, it would seem from their response, are the same the world over.
During a visit to Christchurch town we toured the Cathedral in the main square and found a fund raising event going on outside called 'Funrazor' in aid of children with cancer. Anyone participating had to have their hair shaved off. Needless to say, Ken was disqualified..
We began the tour of the South Island going North and then over to the West Coast. We did a great deal of driving but all on open roads devoid of traffic and where my navigation improved no end, mainly due I suspect to the fact that there is only one road! In parts there are river bridges where the road traffic has to share with trains. A bit scary especially the first occasion this becomes apparent and you're not sure if a train is coming.
The scenery is amazing and changes with each corner you turn. At one point we passed fields of baby reindeer - no doubt being raised for their duties next Christmas! We found a seal colony nearby one town and stoped a while to watch them. One large seal sat sunning himself on a large rock as if to invite everyone to take his photo which of course they did. Our second night's stop on the West Coast was at Franz Joseph which boasts a great glacier and we were lucky enough to see it in brilliant sunshine - just hours before the rain set in.
Milford Sound, the next stop is one of New Zealand's most beautiful attractions and a world heritage site of mountains and fiords carved out by glaciers and now the perfect place for sightseeing by boat as magnificent mountains meet the ocean. The experience is enhanced because access to Milford is by a single route through completely unspoiled landscape of mountains, streams and valleys, beautifully varied from granite cliffs to colours and fragrance of mixed wild flowers spread accross the valley floor. Three blooms of which were presented to me by Ken in lieu of a birthday card.

Many thanks to kind friends and family for my gifts, cards and wishes.

The last couple of day back to Christchurch was just a varied as all the rest. New Zealand sure is a photographers dream and a delight for all to see. We've had great weather for most of the time, missing the rain that crossed the Island. Thanks Iris for your advice about a campervan. We found some great places to stay with no problem and not once did we think we'd have been better off with one.

Early tomorrow morning we leave for Sydney where we're picking a car up at the airport and have to drive across Sidney to Peggy's to pick up some luggage we left with her - should be great fun.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



12th January 2008

lovely photos
Gosh now can see your photos your one of Lake Mathieson is fabulous - it was cloudy when we were there.

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb