Whangerei Falls... in our estimation


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Whangarei
February 21st 2009
Published: February 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Slightly more cloud and a little cooler (28) today so decided to head out exploring again. We had read of two attractions in various guide books (Rough Guide and Lonely Planet to mention just two) - so ventured back into Whangerei to see the Kauri Park (with its much boasted about canopy walkway) - and Whengerie Falls with its "beautiful falls".

We went to the Kauri Park first... followed a winding track through some trees and ferns until we met the "canopy walkway". It is a 70 metre wooden bridge (obviously not as impressive as the Whananaki Bridge the day before!) that takes you across a small valley - where there are a small group of Kauri trees on the other side (well, we spotted about 4 in total). Yes they are big, and the bark on the trunk of the tree is fascinating (bit like beaten copper to look at) - but Mum said they were no match or comparison to the giant redwoods and seqoua she had seen in America. So a little disappointed we held out our hope for the Whangerei Falls.

The falls are in a public park on the edge of the City, and a small river cascades over a sharp drop into a wooded area below - probably dropping about 30 metres in total into a pool used regularly for swimming. Again, perhaps our expectations were too high... but after five minutes we had seen enough and were ready to leave..... have not taken any pictures as there was nothing much to see!

So after a short morning exploring we headed back to Tutukaka heaven, and stopped again at the Schnappa Rock. We enjoyed morning coffee, and then ambled back for some for rest and relaxation. Don't really know why we went out - the views are just stunning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb