North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
January 23rd 2008
Published: January 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

After saying that I would try and update my blog on a regular basis Im afraid to say I have failed- there is a good reason for this though as I have been having too much fun. I will update you the best i can on whats happened since leaving Auckland.
Got up really earleir for our trip upto the bay of islands, the bus was an hour late and the driver did a detour to pick up his kids- we have since changed buses. We spent two days in the bay of islands, on the first day I went over to the former capitl of NZ, Russel and had a wander around there, there wasnt a lot to do so came back to Pahia (on the main land) first night we went out and met some girls from Ireland, we had been told our bus wasnt leaving for another three days, they offered us a lift home on the day there were leaving which was the day we wanted to go. We had a good night out and the next day was a bit of a right off the weather was bad so pretty much read a whole book, in the evening we went to the bar where the girls who said they would give us a lift said they would meet us, they werent there.... They did leave a note however saying they would pick us up the next day. We did karaoke in the bar and did a beautiful rendition of Chris DeBurghs lady in red- it held the crowd.
The next day we got a lift back to Auckland with the girls we had met, they were really cool, Ray slept the whole time while we chatted. On arriving in Auckland we caught the ferry over to Waihiki island to stay with a family friend, it was a beautiful island, we got fed properly and got our washing done, we went out for a few drinks in the evening and just chilled out. The next day we left and got the ferry back to Auckland as Ray had booked to do a jump off the skytower. He did the jump and got another go for free, we went out in the evening and met a comedian from New Zealand who was very funny- we hung around with him most of the night.
Another relatively early start the next day to get the bus to Mercury bay, we had changed the comapny we were using and the kiwi experience was a lot better. We travelled down to a place called Mercury Bay, on the way there we stopped at a beach where we were advised to do an hours walk to see a cove- we did it a little reluctnatly but it was worth it, the cove was beautiful. We travelled to another beach where we stopped off to lay in the hot pools that can be found under the sand- was very hot and very strange. We arrived at a little family run hostel and had a chilled out night.
We got up early the next day and got the bus again- again there were some little stop offs, this time to explore some old caves, was good we got in an old mine cart not realising it was still rotating and feel out, it was very funny. We also met the strangest man called James he is a simple minded man and we took him under our wing, he hadnt shaved in 3 months and only had a wispy tash. We stopped again to do some street luging, this was a whole lot of fun, basically flew down tracks on converted sledges was really good. We had meet some cool Canadians on the bus and when we arrived at our hostel in Rotorua we settled with them and got ready for a night out, we shaved James, dressed him and took him out for the night- had a good night and a lot of fun but had to be up again early the next day to go sledging and white water rafting.
The next moring we spent sledging down a river, sledging is when you hold onto a converted body board and glide down rapids etc, Ray and I were made to stay at the back as we were the best and got to some more of the wild water, it was amazing being in a fast flowing river taking the swirls and waterfalls on just a board but dont worry Nan it was very safe. In the aftrenoon we did another part of the river in a raft this time, this included plummiting down a seven metre waterfall- it was a really good day. In the early evening we went to a Polynesian Spa where the water is naturally heated by the earth, we relaxed for a bit but coudlnt do too much as the place stinks of Sulpha!
The next day we spent sorting out our flights and otehr things this took up most of the day, we are doing two more days in NZ, One more in Fiji and return from Thaialnd on 25th March. In the evening we went out on a Maori expereince. There were five buses and each bus had a chief, Ray was ours, each chief had to stand while the Maoris did there traditional welcome- not that welcoming, one chief was chosen, it was Ray to lead the rest of us into their village. In the village we saw how Maoris lived, watched a Haka concert and had a feast of a dinner, on the bus on the way home the driver asked if anyone had any songs, we obviously got up and sang to the whole bus- badly.
The next day we left for Waitomo where we had signed up to so some caving, the bus stopped again for a walk around a forrest. We have a trick of checking in last as hostels guarantee rooms for our bus, if lots of people check in the dorms fill up and they have to use the better rooms- it worked this time and we got a chalet. There wasnt a lot to do here so we had a bit of an early night. The next day we went caving, it was only Ray and I doing it and there were two instructors which meant we got to do a lot more. We absailed down waterfalls, climbed back up them, pot holed, saw glow worms and did a bit of free falling it was very tiring and hard work but a lot of fun and very challenging. We were so tired in the evening we didnt really do much.
The next day we got up and left for Taupo, we stopped off again in a cool cave for another walk, before we got in to Taupo we stopped off at the Huka Falls, they were mental, they looked amazing but if you fell in you would die! We got into Taupo where we only planned on staying one night, the A1 grandprix was on a couple of nights after we got there so we decided to stay four nights as they planned a street party. Our checking in trick worked again got an en suite room with a tv this time. Went out for a night out in the local bar was fun. We didnt do a lot the next day, we booked a boat to go fishing the next day on Daves birthday.
The day of Daves birthday we went to get our boat however the wind was too strong and they wouldnt let us play - not fair! We went to play crazy golf and then went to have a look at the bungy site, Ray signed up and I really ummmmmed and rrrrrrred, it was Daves birthday and I wanted to do something cool for him so I signed up to do a tandem bungy with Ray, it was 47 metres high over a river. As it got closer to our turn I got a bit more nervous, standing on the edge was really scary but went through with it and it was a massive rush- enjoyed it so much, touched the water and felt amazing after doing it. We went out in the evening to celebrate Daves birthday there was a street party which was cool, I felt really weird that night and didnt want to think about anything- we had a few drinks for Dave.
Woke up a little groggy in the morning, we chilled out and decided to go to the cinema in the evening saw a very bad film called Cloverfield- dont go! There was an amzing sunset and got some really good photos of that, saw some girls Ray went to uni with, went out for a drink with them which was cool except they kept talking about people I didnt know and places I hadnt heard of.
Woke up the next day to go to River Valley, the bus stopped again for another walk, this time a 2 hour one, however this was the best walk I have ever been on. The views were amaizng it was by the Tongariro Crossing, we walked by the volcano that was used as Mount Doom in Lord of the Rings, there were mountains on the other side of the Volcano, it looked amazing, there were two waterfalls, we explored these, swam in the pool of a waterfall and got some amaizng views- I cant put it into words, it wont do it justice. We arrived at River Vally and there was another amazing river oustide, we swam in that, chilled out and had a good day and night.
We got a bit of a lay in the next day but the dorm we were in only had one bed, it did however sleep sixteen. Had a game of golf in the morning on a strange course- swam in the river again and left around lunchtime for Wellington- we stopped off again but no walks this time, had a drink in a bar named the Rat Hole- the name suited the decour. Arrived in Wellington, checked in and went out with some people on the bus in the night.
That brings us up to date again. I apologise for the spelling mistakes but I'm sure you know what i mean. I forget to say I have become an alright cook since being in New Zealand my speacility is pasta with a can of tuna. I am going to spend the next 10 days or so doing the west coast of the south island on my own, I am looking forward to it as it should be a good character building experience.

I will try and update you a little sooner on my progress but I said that before...

x



Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb