Whanganui Airport Control Tower


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wanganui
July 19th 2019
Published: July 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

A few months ago I joined the Whanganui Airport Control Tower Restoration Group (Inc) which is a bit of a mouthful. This group was formed in 2004 in order to retain the control tower and to create an Aviation Museum and Education Centre in it.

Even though I think it is one of the ugliest buildings ever put up, and is below a hill which sort of defeats the purpose it was built for as you can't see planes as they fly over the city, it is am important part of our aviation history. It is even listed as a Category 1 Heritage building in the Whanganui District Council Heritage Register. If you think I am sounding fairly knowledgeable, it's because I am quoting from the Group's informative pamphlet which I am sure they will forgive me for.

If you have an interest in aviation then you need to visit the Tower on a Sunday from 1-3pm as it will be open. You can climb to the top and get an idea of what it must have been like when it was operational. If you time it right you will see an Air Chathams flight come in. It is even better if you can make it when there is an event on. For example, I was there for the flypast on ANZAC Day which was breathtaking.

You can find them on Facebook under Airport Control Tower Restoration Group Wanganui. There is an interesting link on the page to a newspaper article about the Tower.

But don't just visit the Tower. Call in next door to the busy and very friendly Aero Club. You may be surprised at the planes that are flying. https://www.wanganuiaeroclub.co.nz/.

Then there is the actual airport and the International Commercial Pilots Academy just down the road. https://www.nzicpa.nz/

Geocaches: There are three geocaches nearby. One is directly opposite the airport which is good one if you need to take the dog for a short walk. Another is at the Speedway and you may need an extraction tool for that one.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb