Waitomo to Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo Caves
February 9th 2008
Published: February 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello again! it takes a while to do all this stuff and have been really busy recently sorry!

Taupo


Right o, we left on our big green bus straight after caving for Taupo (skydive capital - unfortunately too windy so no sky diving!) just before we arrived in taupo we stopped off at Huka falls which is an incredible waterfall discharging over 220,000 litres a second through its narrow channels! After checking in for our hostel which was one of the better ones we pretty much went straight to the hostel bar for a massive night out (a few photos but most of these on facebook). The next day was wasted really too hungover went around town a bit and sat by the pretty lake, nice not to have to get on a bus!
Today me and Lyndsay temporarily parted ways as she continued on the bus down to river valley and i got up at 5am to do a walk! Granted it is ment to be one of the 10 best walks in the world! and it really was an amazing walk through two active volcanoes! I spent most of the walk on my own as the few people i knew were of a slower pace. The walk was called the Tongariro crossing (see; http://www.tongarirocrossing.org.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=27) it took me 7hours continuous walking, tough walking, and it absolutely ruined me! i spent the evening in pain before going to bed very early to wake up and catch the bus to river valley.

River Valley


We stopped off for some views and a waterfall jump as we crossed through tongariro national park but i was too tired from the day before to do much, River valley is not so much a place as a odge in the middle of nowhere deep inside a massive valley created by what would be a su8bstatial river only they had not had rain for several months so what could have been good white water rafting was not a possibility, so the evening was spent chilling out enjoying a lovely roast untill a group of rugby boys from all over the world here on thier weekend off from a specialist course (most of them good enough that they had ahd national call ups all under 23 years old from mostly NZ and south africa) We proceded to make friends and the drink our own weight in beer! much fun had by all!

Wellington


After a pretty average day of travelling through mostly army land, yeah they actually have an army (interesting fact: if NZ was attacked the army only have enough ammo stockpiled to fire back for 7minutes!) We arrived in Wellington just in time to catch up with lyndsay and the group at the one day cricket match England Vs NZ was a good afternoon lots of beer drinking shame england were awfull! Wellington was not that special just another city and the weather was not all that great when we were there. Went to the national museum but cant say i was enthralled! Some of the group were leaving us in wellington so the best part of wellington was going for a massive curry with 15 of us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Tongariro crossingTongariro crossing
Tongariro crossing

cant remember the name of this mountain but it is mount doom in lord of the rings so this is what i shall call it


21st February 2008

Congratulations!
Great walk Guy...saw the web link you included. Looks amazingly unique. Think you really earned your evening beer after that! I would like to know how Lyndsay ended up with the only good looking guy on the trip?

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb