Auckland to Waitomo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Mercury Bay
February 4th 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mercury Bay


We left Auckland early and stopped at Mt Eden an extint volcano for some last views of the city area before heading to a place called Cathederal Cove where i went sea kayaking and Lyndsay went and sunbathed on a very beautiful beach. After this we headed for Mercury Bay to our lovely family run hostel where the whole bus had a big spag bowl dinner before we headed for the pub!

Rotarua


It was a nasty rainy morning when we left mercury bay but unlike england it cleared a few hours later and was beautifully sunny again by the time we reached our first stop, a walk up a george and through some old railway tunnels where they used to take gold to be crushed and shaped. After the nice little walk and some lunch we headed on to our destination for the evening, Rotarua cultural and geothermal centre of NZ. We spent most of the afternoon throwing a tennis ball around the pool (i know a luxury) before heading off for our evening experience of the Maori culture. Awesoem evening with a lovely meal (see pictures for more)

Waitomo


Toady we head straight to the little town of Waitomo (population 40) to see the massive underground cave network. We spent the evening having a BBQ with everyone on the bus before heading to the local pub for a game of pool and a few bevys. Not heavy night as an early start in the morning as we go black water rafting which involves a silly wet suit outfit a rubber ring and some dark wet caves, Excellent fun jumping off waterfalls backwards in the dark and floating through caves full of gloworms on a river in a rubber ring!


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Kayakers half time drinksThe Kayakers half time drinks
The Kayakers half time drinks

The two instructors brought all this stuff with them to make us coffe tea cappacuino hot chocolate, the works even managed to do frothy milk, On a very remote beach!


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb