Flights/Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
February 1st 2008
Published: February 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Heathrow to Auckland


Right, where do i start with this nightmare. Its a pretty horrible journey to start with 25hrs from heathrow to Auckland via L.A. Well it started at heathrow where we were delayed an hour and a half because baa coulnt get thier act together and tow our aircraft out of the gate. We made some time up over the atlantic and arrived 40minutes behing schedule so were hope fully about catching our connection in an hour and forty minutes. As soon as we got off the plane things were not so great as we were given a voucher for a hotel and told we were on the waiting list for a flight tomorrow but we were welcome to try and make it! so we thought we would have ago but of course we realised we had to actually go through customs and immigration collect our bags and then check in again! stupid stupid American system (wont go into how much hate i now posses for LAX) but anyway we decide we were not going to wait around and went straight to the Qantas desk and managed after several hours to get on standby to a flight to brisbane then auckland so about 5hours after originaly planned we got out of LAX (thank God) and on our way!
We finally arrived in Auckland 37hours after leaving home but happy to finaly be there untill we got to collect our baggage and it turned out my bag decided not to come (probably because i packed a spare pair of clothes) Nightmare!


Auckland


So after a sweaty but free bus ride to the hostel which turns out is very centrally located on the main street we had a quick look around got a shower (much needed) some dinner and went to bed. Next day woke up all refreshed to a beautiful sunny day about 26c spent the morning wondering round the city down the main streets around the harbour which has some spectacular boats! Then we went up the Sky Tower which is the tallest building in the southern Hemisphere which of course offered some amazing views of Auckland! Then we had an all you can eat pizza and a beer for $10 (thats about 4quid) organised by the hostel in the bar downstairs much fun had! This morning we were up relatively early as we were booked on a free trip around auckland run by the coach company we will be on tomorrow. Started the day by climbing the harbour bridge and being offered a bungee jump which was ever so enticing but must say the thought of jumping of a bridge with an elastic band round my ankles didnt really do it for me! after that we went over to the northshore on the opposite side of the harbour to the city and went to some beautiful beaches and an amazing look out point were you had views of the whole harbour area, then it was down to a little town for a very tasty fish and chips lunch! In the afternoon we did a little driving tour wasnt that special but better than being at work! and that leads me to here back at the hostel writing this about to go cook a very simple dinner of pasta and sauce then we leave Auckland tomorrow for our first stop on the bus!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



5th February 2008

What...no bungee jump!
I think the least you could have done was to give us all at home the pleasure of seeing you scare yourself shitless! Perhaps we'll have better luck seeing you parachuting. Make sure you take Lyndsay!
7th February 2008

Hell NO!
I aint doing no bungee! wanted to do sky diving but it been too windy recently which is annoying! went on massive walk today sooo tired! i think entries may get shorter as i go on it take quite a while to sort all this crap out! going to bed now even though its still a bit light (9.30pm here, sun goes down about 8.30)

Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb