Wellington to Franz Josef


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Nelson
February 20th 2008
Published: February 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bonjour! im a little bit behind trying to catch up!

Nelson


We left Wellington early to catch the ferry over to the little town of Picton where we caught the next bus to the town of Nelson. It was a stunning ferry ride up the fiords (see pictures). Nelson is a beautiful little costal town, as we had to spend 3nights there the first day we just did a bit of shopping and saw a film in the evening. Next day Lyndsay went off early and spent most of the day bone carving (she made a little necklace) i on the other hand had a nice lie in and got up about one. We went out in the evening for a few drinks but relatively quiet as another early start.
Abel Tasman
We were up early to get a bus to small village of Marahau where we embarked on a 4hour walk through the coastal beauty of Abel Tasman national park. We walked from Marahau to Torrent bay and then got a water taxi back to our bus in Marahau (http://www.abeltasman.co.nz/NationalPark/Maps.aspx) Stunning walk with a couple of scenic dips in the sea.

Westport


We stopped off in the morning for a little stroll around Nelson lake before heading to yokel village of westport, The girls made a lovely valentines dinner here while the boys went out on the NZ invention called the jet boat. Didnt really get any pics as very wet but the boat is basically a boat that works by sucking in water and firing it out at high speeds as it has no rudder or propellor is can travel faster and through only 4inches of water, it can also do 270 degree spins sending water everywhere! a thoughrouly wet experience.

Lake Mahinapuha


The morning started badly with a wet coastal walk and a very unhappy lyndsay! after this the day brightend up and we stopped of in some coastal town to buy fancy dress for our stop in lake Mahinapuha, The theme; Tramps and Prostitues, I of course made a beautiful Prostitue while lyndsay was a little Tramp. The stop over is just a cheap motel by the road that does this every night, run by and 80 year old man called Les, especially for all the kiwi buses and all the walls of the pub are lined with photos of the dressed up busses, a very messy night!

Franz Josef


The main attration in franz Josef is the massive 16km long Glacier! We spent two nights here so that everyone can spend a day doing some sort of activity on the glacier. Lyndsay chose the all day glacier walk (i know walking for lyndsay! she is still complaining about her legs) which is an 7-8hour walk up the glacier itself kitted out in boots and crampons! (dont have her photos at moment will update later) I chose the more extreme Ice Climbing which was really good fun. After walking to and up the glacier we pulled out our ice axes and crampons to climb a couple virtical and overhung walls of ice the second of which was about 25metres high.







Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Me at vineyardMe at vineyard
Me at vineyard

We stopped of here on the way for lunch was beautiful and bought some wine (very very cheap and from what i can tell very good NZ wine)
Abel TasmanAbel Tasman
Abel Tasman

Beach we stopped for a swim at
Abel TasmanAbel Tasman
Abel Tasman

Me & the Dutchies (Michel and Roan)
Abel TasmanAbel Tasman
Abel Tasman

Dutchies
Abel TasmanAbel Tasman
Abel Tasman

Rich the bloke with naked arse has his tushi showing because he went swimming in the sea in his boxers (he had no shorts) and managed to lose them to the ocean!
Lake MathesonLake Matheson
Lake Matheson

Stop on the way to westport


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb