Look, it's just a big fat Kiwi.......


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Te Puke
May 7th 2006
Published: May 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Big Fat KiwiBig Fat KiwiBig Fat Kiwi

The enormous Kiwi fruit at the entrance to the orchard we visited outside Te Puke
On the way back to Hamilton after our Rotorua excursion we stopped off at this place near Te Puke called Kiwi 360. It's basically an orchard specialising in Kiwi fruit and they do little guided tours in kiwi trains that look more like burgers. We didn't do a tour because there was a high school group that we'd have had to go round with (and who could be doing with that?), but we did pay 2 dollars per person to have a lovely leisurely stroll through some very pretty fruit fields, and saw some trees and fruit bearing vines that we haven't ever laid eyes on before. It was a nice sunny warm day and we enjoyed this little distraction half way through our drive home.

We saw and photographed: Lemon trees, Lime trees, Grapefruit trees, Apple trees, Orange trees, Avocados, Macadamia nuts and Kiwi vines. Plus a 50 foot Kiwi fruit slice made of green plastic. Smashing.


We've now booked all our return leg flights to the UK and our intinerary looks something like this;
Tuesday 9th May = Auckland to Sydney
Friday 12th May = Sydney to Honkers (Hong Kong) then we take nearly 4 weeks
A siamese (double in one) Lemon.A siamese (double in one) Lemon.A siamese (double in one) Lemon.

Don't you just love weird shaped freaky fruit? No? How no?
to visit Honkers, Macau, Shanghai and Beijing
Thursday 8th June = Honkers to London then onward same day to Edinburgh, arriving at some point on the 9th.

We're really looking forward to our exciting bits and pieces on the way back to the UK, although we'll be very sad to leave the folks here in Hamilton. Boo hoo!

Thats about it folks for today - hope you like the little tutti fruity pictures....
Eggs. xxx

ps: Just to confirm - we are still alive after the Tsunami (?!?!?!?!?!)





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Even more grapefruit.Even more grapefruit.
Even more grapefruit.

These were Shaz's favourites in the orchard. She's never been in an orchard before and went a bit nuts with enthusiasm when it came to taking some snaps..
Kiwi vines.Kiwi vines.
Kiwi vines.

There was a shop near the entrance which sold all sorts of kiwi fruit products. We tried and bought some delicious golden kiwis which taste like a cross between melon and pineapple.
Oranges....Oranges....
Oranges....

...reminding us of where else but Sevilla!
A Kiwi bird the size of a Tyranasaurus Rex. A Kiwi bird the size of a Tyranasaurus Rex.
A Kiwi bird the size of a Tyranasaurus Rex.

Fortunately it's made of fibreglass.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb